• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon ?

Looking into buying a new camera. I have been looking at the Nikon D5000 vs. D90. I am looking for insight from people in the know or links to other sites that could provide me with more info. I looked at the Nikon HSOforum and did not have much luck when it came to comparisons between the two.

Thanks for the assistance

UNIT

Thom Hogan has a great site for info on Nikon Cameras bythom(dot)com. I personally have the D90 and love it. Hawg Tide is right about the feel of the D90 as well. My wife has the D60 which is very similar in size to the D5000. Good luck with your search. It would be great to have another Nikon shooter on here, too many white lens warriors wink

Oh stop it XT! If the budget allows, definitely go with the D90. You'll get much more camera. The D5000 will do very well for you but I always recommend people start with the most that their budget allows, it costs too much to keep upgrading because the less expensive model didn't have that one option you thought you wouldn't need but then realize you do. Trust me! smile

Good luck...Go Nikon!!!

I'm not going to debate Nikon v Canon here. The OP asked for advice between two Nikon models. I don't know enough about either to make a recommendation, but I know that any modern entry level or mid level DSLR from a major manufacturer is capable of phenomenal image quality, limited only by the quality of the glass and the quality of the photographer's imagination.

So I tell all my clients to buy the body that feels best in your hands and has controls that make the most sense to you. Sure, there are differences between brands of cameras/lenses, and the fact that I shoot Canon tells you which I prefer, but that's only MY preference, and should have no bearing on which you ultimately select.

It really doesn't matter whether you drive a Ford or a Chevy or shoot a Remington or a Winchester. Far more important to learn how to drive and shoot well with what you drive and shoot.

Good luck man, and be sure to share some pics with us. gringringrin

It really doesn't matter whether you drive a Ford or a Chevy or shoot a Remington or a Winchester. Far more important to learn how to drive and shoot well with what you drive and shoot.

But, if you have the chance to shoot Beretta instead why not! smile

All kidding aside. I agree with mmeyer, buy the best you can afford. Less than a year after getting a Nikon D50 I upgraded to the D90. I believe mmeyer made a similar upgrade. I also agree with Steve go with what feels good in your hand, that is exactly how I ended up with Nikon over Canon. The Rebel XT just felt too small in my hand compared to the Nikon D50 so I committed to Nikon, now if only it would have been that easy to choose a mate!

Also if you can afford the D90 the 18-105mm VR kit lens that accompanies it in my opinion is more versatile than the 18-55mm VR lens that comes with the D5000. In fact, I sold the 18-55mm VR lens that came with my wife's D60 when I got a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 and gave her the 18-105mm kit lens from the D90 setup. I did this to make sure that I had access to that 18-105 lens. While the 18-55 lens is a fine walk about lens I feel that the 18-105 is that much more versatile especially on trips or walking around town.

Good luck with your decisions