• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Cat's starting on Fire!

superbee

I had 3 members of a group of 4 all have their sleds start on fire around the muffler. All sleds were 2007 models with 570 fan cooled engines. 2 sleds were Panthers and 1 Bearcat. All sleds had with 150 miles of each other. Has anybody else had or heard of this? Sounds like more than a coincidence.

I had 3 members of a group of 4 all have their sleds start on fire around the muffler. All sleds were 2007 models with 570 fan cooled engines. 2 sleds were Panthers and 1 Bearcat. All sleds had with 150 miles of each other. Has anybody else had or heard of this? Sounds like more than a coincidence.

They weren't cooking weneeys with those little muffler stoves were they? cry Sounds odd it would happen to all of them? confused

They did not have a cooker on the cans. They were just driving around on the lake between spots. The Bearcat did this once before and the dealer replaced the muffler and said it was faulty. They have gotten 3 different scenarios now. The one dealer is adiment that it is lean jetting, I say it is funny the sleds still run fine and didn't melt down a piston. Another stated a faulty muffler again, I forget the 3rd scenario, but it was a grasp. Basically they are not sure. The guys were going to contact AC and see what they said, but all the dealers said they have never heard of this before w/ the exception of the 1 bearcat. Something is definately haywire with the 2007 570 fan engine, but just curious if anyone has heard of or had the same problems.

A totally different sled, but my 97' ZRT 600 did once. The underhood foam started on fire after heavy use in deep powder. The dealer I purchased from had gone under so I called the next nearest dealer, who said they never heard of such a thing.

They did not have a cooker on the cans. They were just driving around on the lake between spots. The Bearcat did this once before and the dealer replaced the muffler and said it was faulty. They have gotten 3 different scenarios now. The one dealer is adiment that it is lean jetting, I say it is funny the sleds still run fine and didn't melt down a piston. Another stated a faulty muffler again, I forget the 3rd scenario, but it was a grasp. Basically they are not sure. The guys were going to contact AC and see what they said, but all the dealers said they have never heard of this before w/ the exception of the 1 bearcat. Something is definately haywire with the 2007 570 fan engine, but just curious if anyone has heard of or had the same problems.

It sounds like the mufflers maybe getting a lot of un-burned oil built up in them and that maybe what starts burning off once the build up gets to be to much. Maybe their oil injectors are putting out to much oil causing a build up in the mufflers? You can see this in a lot of 2 cycles when you see a little black stream of unburnt oil running down the outside of them from the connections. It's kind of like a chimney fire after to much soot builds up. wink

Could be a timing issue at a certain speed. if the timing is retarded too much it will put a lot of heat into the exhaust. were they all at the same speed/throttle position?

Build up a lot of heat but still needs to burn something, like maybe built up oil! wink

No, they were at varied speeds. They managed to drive them after the incidents for the rest of their trip, but tried to keep the rpm's down. They managed to finish the trip without any other incidents. It was definately alot of heat to start the hood and belly pan on fire.

artic cats always have there oil injectors set too high on some models, fan cooled would be one of them. you can adjust the oil injector unit, the manual should tell you how and were to set it. I checked mine on a older sled I had, and it was set too high. I was able to adjust this very easy.