• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sensor cleaning

Hey folks,

For those of you who clean your own sensors,what do you use? For the last couple of years I have used a product called Dust Aid that I have been extremely happy with but the company has changed the product a little,so before I order the new product I thought I'd see what some here use. I have a southern Caribbean cruise coming up so I want to start with a clean sensor. Thanks

I use the Copperhill method. Uses Pec Pads and Eclipse fluid. Do a search and you will find all the info you need. To be aware some of the newer sensors use Eclipse II fluid instead of the original so make sure you note that.

Most of the local camera stores are carrying all the supplies now so most everything can be bought locally.

I use the Copperhill method. Uses Pec Pads and Eclipse fluid. Do a search and you will find all the info you need. To be aware some of the newer sensors use Eclipse II fluid instead of the original so make sure you note that.

Most of the local camera stores are carrying all the supplies now so most everything can be bought locally.

Thanks Dan and Steve,

I saw a thread on Photography on the Net regarding the Copperhill method. Is the wet cleaning easy to work with? Also,I have a 30D,so are you saying I have to look for the original Eclipse fluid?

CG, you can use either eclipse fluid with the 30D. The wet method is easy. No method will get every single speck off the sensor, but the Copperhill method works really well. I've been using it for four years, and I cleaned my sensors once a month whether they needed it or not until I got cameras that have self-cleaning sensors.

There are good directions with Copperhill. The first time I cleaned my sensor lo those years ago it was like I was changing my first diaper. I chose sensor clean in the menu and listened to the mirror slap up to expose the sensor. I turned the camera up to face the sky with one hand. In the other hand I held the wand with the Pec pad wrapped around it and Eclipse fluid already wetting the pad.

I feared the worst, that I would trash my beloved and expensive and excellent 20D and would have to go back to the crappy DRebel the newspaper had. Sweat beaded my brow at the prospect of ruining my camera. Downstairs, one of the cats meowed and I screamed to my wife to shut up that racket because the fate of the world hung in the balance.

Breathing hard like I did the first time I had a big buck in my crosshairs, I took a long big breath, let it out half way, held it, steadied myself and swiped the sensor.

Yeah, that was the first time.

Now it's as simple as slotting AA batteries in the recharger or formatting a CF card or changing ISO. gringrin

There are good directions with Copperhill. The first time I cleaned my sensor lo those years ago it was like I was changing my first diaper. I chose sensor clean in the menu and listened to the mirror slap up to expose the sensor. I turned the camera up to face the sky with one hand. In the other hand I held the wand with the Pec pad wrapped around it and Eclipse fluid already wetting the pad.

I feared the worst, that I would trash my beloved and expensive and excellent 20D and would have to go back to the crappy DRebel the newspaper had. Sweat beaded my brow at the prospect of ruining my camera. Downstairs, one of the cats meowed and I screamed to my wife to shut up that racket because the fate of the world hung in the balance.

Breathing hard like I did the first time I had a big buck in my crosshairs, I took a long big breath, let it out half way, held it, steadied myself and swiped the sensor.

Yeah, that was the first time.

Now it's as simple as slotting AA batteries in the recharger or formatting a CF card or changing ISO. gringrin

That was my exact feelings the first time I cleaned my 30D and Like Steve said now it is just another routine part of photography. I just had to clean mine yesterday because of 2 dust bunnys and I gave it a couple of shots with the Giotto Rocket and then the Copperhill method. Start to finish it takes maybe 5 minutes.

Thanks Steve! The reason I asked was because of what Dan said. Maybe he was talking about cleaning products in general.

I gotta replenish, too. Mine went about three years, and only was exhausted early because I use the Eclipse fluid and pec pads to clean lens glass in the field. Works great for that, but it does use up the pads and fluid.

And now I don't need the 1.6 crop swab anymore, since I've upgraded bodies to a couple 1.3 crop bodies. Time for a whole new kit. And heck, why not go order it right now? Think I will. gringringrin

I just use the basics, swab, fluid and pec pads, the basic kit for $29.95. There are some other useful tools in some of the other kits but the basic will do everything you need to wet clean.

Let me know when it comes in, we will hook up and I will get you through the first time!

Dan,I'm not sure if would have the time, but if you are available tonight(Thursday) or Saturday aftenoon we could meet up somewhere for a drink and you could show me how to do this. I'm a little concerned about doing this myself right before leaving on vacation Sunday. If you're busy I understand,if not: [email protected].

Bruce

Before I give this a shot, is there anything you folks that have used this method have learned that would help me on my first try? Anything I need to do or not do so I do not make things worse? I don't really see things on most images but like many when you get up above f/10 with a light background things get a little messy.

Hey Canon Guy, just saw this. Obviously tonight is out of the question! Saturday is a bit iffy for me as well, still waiting for a call on some work.

Just follow the directions included in the kit. A few drops of fluid on the sensor swab, swipe one direction, flip the sensor swab over and swipe back. Change your pec pad and repeat.

Make sure your battery is fully charged, use a good strong light to help you see. Other than that it should be no problem. Shoot me an e-mail if you want my phone number and give me a call.

dbleitch at aol dot com

One of the things that worried me at first was how hard to press. I remember that you press about as hard as you do when writing with a pen on paper. That helped me feel comfortable the first time out. You do not have to reef on it to get a good swab. Just a firm gentle pressure.

And don't worry too much. You are not swabbing the sensor, but the film fastened to the sensor.