• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Netflix Device?

We're thinking of signing up for Netflix and wanted to have a streaming device for the online movies. I've been researching the options, a box like ROKU or TiVo, a blu ray player, or a video game system like the PS3 or XBOX 360 (a little spendy). We're not big game players so I'm leaning toward the box or blu ray player, the latter just because if you're spending $100 or so on the box, why not pay a little more and get a blu ray player too. Any thoughts from those that use the Netflix service for streaming movies?

I use a Tivo box and my computer which I have hooked up to an LCD TV so I can watch on two different TV's. The Tivo box is hooked to my main TV. Very easy to use. On my computer I navigate on line to Netflix and select what I want to show. Switch my TV to the input for the computer and watch the show on my TV.

With Tivo you just navigate to the menu in the Tivo and select what you want to view from there. You must have a Series 3 or HD Tivo to use this service though. I had a Series 2 box and had to upgrade ($150).I like the Tivo because you have the advantage of recording your TV shows as well.

The only gaming I do is through my computer so having a PS3 or other gaming system was not an option for me.

I bought an Insignia Blu Ray player for Christmas with wifi and watch Netflix via the player.

It'll take a little time to setup. First thing was to download the the patch from Insignia's site and put that on a CD and then update the player. Then you'll setup your connection. Of coarse my wireless modem had to be reconfigured as it was using wep and that had to be changed to wap. Then back to Netflix to get the code and put in the player. Finally I made my way through the setup and got it working.

Picture quality on Netflix is anywhere from poor to OK and that is expected.

However picture quality on Blu ray discs is fantastic and I only paid $119 for the player. I'm more then happy with my purchase.

Thanks Surface. So the picture quality on the streaming video to the blu ray is poor to OK? I looked at that one on the Best Buy site. Unfortunately its $50 more now for the wireless one but I think I may go that route. It gets lots of great reviews.

I think the main issue is whatever method you use for Netflix on- line the quality is not going to be the same as using a disk. My quality through both the computer and Tivo is acceptable, not HD quality but it is more than watchable. A lot of factors come into play, the quality of your internet connection and speed, wireless speeds, Netflix bandwidth, you know what I mean.

It is a nice bonus feature to have with Netflix but it has limitations.

We're streaming Netflix through a Blu ray player, and in my experience the picture quality has been more than acceptable. It's obviously not the same as having a disc in, but I really have no complaints. There are a few of the titles for streaming that are streamed in HD, but I'm not sure what the resolution coming through on those titles are. I do notice the difference in the picture between the HD streamed and regular streamed movies though.

I agree. The video quality is OK, not great. That being said, it is a good idea and should just improve over time. As mentioned the size of a good quality file and the bandwidth limitations are more than likely why they are limiting it right now. I am sure it will get better.

FYI ~ Netflix just announced a deal with Warner Bros that should help expand the amount of movies available for download. Currently the movie studios don't want to sell the download rights because they fear it hurts DVD sales. However, I think they see the righting on the wall that everything is going to be downloads soon and figure they better get on the bus.

You can get a PS3 which is also a Blu-ray player, game console, internet, music and video streaming, etc. They don't cost much, if any more, than a good blu-ray player. Everything is also software upgradeable to keep up with new technologies.

Online Netflix streaming is not a clear as a Blu-Ray disk, plus I don't think online streaming audio is Dolby 5.1 surround so it won't sound as good if you have a home theater receiver.

I bought an XBOx360 Vs. the Wii cuz I was told you can use it with Netflix, which is true; however, Microsoft requires that you pay them $50.00 per year to stream netflix through the 360.

For that kind of ding, I'll buy a new flatscreen tv with the built-in cirect connection to stream netflix.

Thanks for all the input guys. I believe I'm going to go with a middle of the road blu ray player. For the picture quality of blu ray versus the ROKU box that would only let me get streaming video and because games arent that important to us. Plus, I've checked out the PS3 and the cheapest I could get it for is $350. It may do a lot of cool stuff besides games but I doubt I'd use those features. Plus the blu ray players I'm looking at are anywhere from $150 - $200 less. Thanks again!

Thanks again guys for the feedback. I did end up going with the Insignia wireless player. Setting up the wireless was pretty easy despite all the reviews on the Best Buy site saying that was the one flaw. I was able to keep WPA encryption with no problem and basically it was a matter of adjusting a few settings on the player and entering the password to my network. Says the wireless signal is excellent all the time. The firmware download was a snap too.

I played around with a few instant movies and would agree that streaming is good to ok at best, and that depends on the movies you're downloading. I did find that when you switched from the theater screen options to "full," on my Toshiba flat screen, meaning you have more of a traditional square picture, the picture improved signifigantly. And really, I was looking at the streaming option more for animated kids movies anyway. My son is more than happy watching Scooby Do Pirates Ahoy that way so no big deal.

Will have to select some blu ray movies from Netflix next to try out. And having my wife pick up Braveheart on blu ray as I pretty much need to have that movie on hand for whenever I want to watch it. They give you an $8 coupon in the box when you buy the player and I read online you can get more off if you have or swap the DVD.

I read some more info on the Netflix streaming after all this talk. It looks like they throttle the bitrate of the stream based on the connection speed.

# Bars Encoding Req'd Speed

Four 3400 4760

Four 2200 3080

Three 1600 2240

Two 1000 1400

One 500 700

(Bit rates are in Kbps).

So many things can affect the quality from the speed of the internet connection, internal router, LAN network traffic, and device that is playing Netflix. From what I read the best case would need a 6Mbps connection and no other traffic on the router to get the best quality picture which is somewhere slightly less than DVD quality (even with an HD stream), but with stereo sound instead of 5.1 surround. It may be a convenience but I am spoiled by HD and Blu-Ray and like to crank up the surround sound and feel it.

Yeah, I am bummed out about the surround sound thing. I had stereo as well.

In fact I got stereo when I downloaded a movie from the PS3 store as well.

It can't take up that much memory, wondering why they are skimping on it??

So forgive me but I'm fairly home theater illiterate, even though I've mentioned to set mine up with the new blu ray . The surround sound works on the streaming movies I've tried (meaning the rears speakers are emmitting sound and the woofer is working). Is it just that the movies don't sound as good or the surround sound isn't working at all?

To give you an idea of how home theater illiterate I am, it took me an hour this morning unhooking and rehooking speakers before I realized the main right speaker wasn't working because the balance knob was to the left. Der, duh, der....

Also, we just recently got the hi-def TV and I've yet to get the older Yamaha (8 years old or so)to work with the TV. I connected the monster sound cables to the right ports on the back of the TV and then to the right ports on the back of the receiver but I just get low fuzzy sound from the speakers. The blu ray player sounds great so I did everything right there, I just can't figure out the TV to stereo receiver hook up for the life of me. Any suggestions welcome. I may even try a separate post to see if anyone has any ideas. The TV is the second TV off of a dish box, meaning it's not hooked up directly to the box, so I'm at a loss for how something so simple is not working.

You are correct that the sound from streaming will be degraded. Your receiver is probably using all 4 speakers, but it isn't receiving Dolby 5.1 digital sound. Kind of like hooking 4 speakers to a stereo, you still only have 2 channel sound even though you have 4 speakers.

What output from the TV are you trying to connect to?

Is you receiver only stereo or is it Dolby Digital 5.1 compatible?

Thanks for the info. I'm going by the diagram with the Toshiba for the TV ports and running it to the Sat/DTV ports on the Yamaha receiver. It is Dolby Digital. I just bought a digital cable and was thinking of hooking that from the receiver to the blu ray. I have the HDMI cable going from the TV to the blu ray obviously. Maybe I should hook up a digital cable from the TV to the receiver? I will have to check if that is possible.

BTW, BB dropped the price of the wireless blu ray player from $180 to $150 this week and I promptly got a price adjustment.

Deerminator,

You said this High def Toshiba is not hooked directly to the Satelite box. Is the sat box connected to an High Def TV? I wonder if you are even able to get high def unless you are connected directly to the box? Don't most of the dual-tuner sat boxes have 1 HD output and 1 standard def output?