• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Netflix Device?

No. It's the second TV off a dish connection, so its the TV not hooked directly to the dish box. We can't get HDTV through our dish box because we can't get the required signal from the dish on our roof. Just way too many trees. We literally live in the woods and I'd half to sacrafice dozens of maples, some likely a hundred years old for that. I figured hi def for movies only was good enough for me. And the current picture quality when watching TV is great. I talked to a guy at Best Buy and he said I could try an optical digital cable from the TV to the tuner and that it would likely work. However, most of their cables were pricey and I'm waiting to get one at the hardware store for cheap to see if that works before I'd drop $50 on one at Best Buy.

Thanks. Meaning from the TV to stereo connection, right? I should be able to get that with the blu ray to TV and stereo since all the cables are HMDI and digital? I dont really care so much about the TV for surround. It would just be nice to use the speakers. I did pick up the Braveheart blu ray from BB today when I was there. I have the DVD but the blu ray player came with and $8 coupond for Braveheart and various other movies and you get an additional $10 off if you have the DVD and mail in a copy of the UPC code as Proof of Purchase.

I'm not sure if your TV will repeat the digital audio stream from the Blu-Ray player's HDMI cable to the digital optical out or not. You will have to test that out. I have an older Kenwood Home Theater that doesn't have HDMI inputs (like you have I think). I have a PS3 Blu-Ray player that is connected to the TV with HDMI and to my home theater receiver with an optical cable. The PS3 can be setup to output digital audio from 2 ports at once (HDMI and optical). If the TV doesn't repeat the HDMI audio stream you could see if your blu-ray player can.

Thanks spearchucker. I was more asking that I would be able to get the true surround sound with the blu ray movies I watch. I would have to think so as I have a digital cable going from the blu ray player to the stereo receiver. It sounds great at least. My Yamaha doesnt have the HMDI inputs. I just have an HDMI cable going from TV to blu ray player.

BTW, I buy my cables and such at Fleet Farm. Their selection is more limited obviously, but I can get a quality RCA brand cable for $10 or less usually versus the cheapest of what I feel to be lesser quality being a minimum of $30 or so at Best Buy. I could go even cheaper I know but I like supporting the Farm.

Do you mean the character who sold me my Yamaha home theater however many years ago wasn't right when he said I didnt want to put those "junky" cables on a top of the line system? : ) As my friend who was also an electronics salesman at the time told me, look, do you think Yamaha and Kenwood are shipping units that are gonna sound like BLEEP with standard cables. They work the same, they just don't look as cool. Needless to say, I left with the junky cables and have always enjoyed my system with them. And when I said quality, basically, I meant in terms of brand, material and appearance. Regardless, none of that, I understand is going to result in better sound.

A follow up to this. I did finally pick up a cheaper digital optical audio cable and it worked instantly in terms of "good" sound performance from the TV while watching television programs to the speaker system. I also picked up a remote extender so I can control all my equipment that's in another room. That works smoothly too though I think to top everything off, I'm going to get a cheaper, basic universal remote to control everything once I've done my research. I've tried some codes on the remotes that came with my equipment and none will control everything - the TV, Dish service, blu ray player and home theater.

Yeah, I've seen those and they look nice. I'm looking for something inexpensive though, preferably under $50. I don't need it to be real fancy, just control the basic functions on all the devices. Problem is, from the looks of it, you might need to go with the very nice ones or buy something cheaper that won't work. I just can't justify spending $150 on a remote. I'd rather use four. So that might be the answer. : )