• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PS3 OVER HEATING

Central Bassman

Thanks for bringing this up. I've got a 1st gen. PS3 that has been a workhorse since day 1. The fat consoles get HOT if they aren't in a well ventilated area. Glad to hear you got your baby back up and running.

I love how the flame wars always come around anytime a flaw is pointed out in a system. Ah, the joys of the internet and free speech.

B.T.W.

PS3>360

wink

Sony has a disclaimer about tampering, then they won't touch it and will send it back. They say that upfront as it's part of their service agreement.

I think his choices are:

Mpls Gaming if they can/will fix it. -$?

Return to Sony for replacement - $188

Buy a new PS3 - $299

Here's a part of the service agreement I was talking about. I was mistaken as this talks about things that void your warrenty, but doesn't specifically say that opening it will void the warrenty. If your warrenty is over then... tear it open, and clean it out and hope for the best. (note to self: don't buy CB's PS3)

Any problem with your Product that was caused by physical abuse, neglect, accident, excessive wear and tear, misuse, modification not performed by SCEA or cosmetic alteration will void your warranty, and your Product will not be eligible for free service or exchange. Also, if either the warranty seal on your unit or the serial number on your unit have been tampered with, cut, or removed, your warranty is voided. If SCEA’s inspection reveals that your warranty has been voided, SCEA will so notify you and, if the Product is serviceable, will give you the choice of (a) having your Product returned to you in the condition in which it was received or (B) repairing or replacing your Product in exchange for a fee. If the Product is unserviceable, SCEA will simply return the Product to you in the condition in which it was received.

Know whats funny about all this, I give the Xbox guys alot of grief, but they all have their own problems- but 30 years ago the Atari 2600 was out and looking back was one of the absolute most reliable systems ever made. You would think as time has gone by they would be more reliable now than they were back then, but that isn't the case. The 2600 you just stuck the game in and you were good to go.

Know whats funny about all this, I give the Xbox guys alot of grief, but they all have their own problems- but 30 years ago the Atari 2600 was out and looking back was one of the absolute most reliable systems ever made. You would think as time has gone by they would be more reliable now than they were back then, but that isn't the case. The 2600 you just stuck the game in and you were good to go.

The Atari had a 1.19MHz processor. Your calculator or TV remote has more processing power than the Atari had. There was no heat, so no need for fans.

My point was, as the first at home entertainment system, you woulda figured it woulda been the most unreliable, but it is quite the opposite. They have actually gotten gradually worse. Yes the graphics now aren't 2 bit or whatever the Atari was, but thousands of people weren't sending their 2600s in for repairs

My point was, as the first at home entertainment system, you woulda figured it woulda been the most unreliable, but it is quite the opposite. They have actually gotten gradually worse. Yes the graphics now aren't 2 bit or whatever the Atari was, but thousands of people weren't sending their 2600s in for repairs

I know what you meant, but you missed my point too.

There was nothing to repair on them. All low power leaded parts that last forever. Also there are a lot more PS3s and Xboxes sold than 2600s.

I know what you meant, but you missed my point too.

There was nothing to repair on them. All low power leaded parts that last forever. Also there are a lot more PS3s and Xboxes sold than 2600s.

I got that, even with nothing to repair, they were very reliable. I still have 2 working units. Got 2 5200's as well that work