• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PS3 OVER HEATING

Central Bassman

My PS3 is getting repaired right now. One day it just wouldn't turn on then beeped at me and flashed a yellow then red light. That's all she wrote, but I had it for 3.5 years with no issues.

Repair (no warrenty) = $188, but I heard that they are shipping out the Slims for replacements. We'll see, they just took the $$$ yesterday.

I did see some stuff online about over heating on Sony's site, but I wasn't looking for that.

The older/original full size ones were prone to potential overheating. Not sure if you can get a fan/cooling attachment or not. Heat is the usual culprit in system failures.

The new sllim redesigns aren't having any problems, as far as I have heard.

Fortunately, SquareTrade found that Xbox 360 quality has improved dramatically since the third quarter of 2008, shortly before the 65nm CPU/GPU "Jasper" model was introduced. Since then, first-year failure rates have plummeted to below the 4 percent the company projected. Looking at 500 units purchased in 2009, SquareTrade found that less than 1 percent had suffered the Red Ring of Death.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There, we're even laugh

You don't think there were 360's failing in a few months???!!!!! wink They started failing right away.

I have no problem with the 360, I am not a hater, as long as they get the quality under control. As DTRO points out, it sounds like they are. Good for them.

Fortunately, SquareTrade found that Xbox 360 quality has improved dramatically since the third quarter of 2008, shortly before the 65nm CPU/GPU "Jasper" model was introduced. Since then, first-year failure rates have plummeted to below the 4 percent the company projected. Looking at 500 units purchased in 2009, SquareTrade found that less than 1 percent had suffered the Red Ring of Death.

Yay, they've fixed the problem they've known about for 4 years!!

where does your ps3 sit? is it crammed in some little hole that it barely fits in? there should be alot of room around all 4 sides of the ps3 specially the back...

I also remember seeing a ps3 cooling tower (or somthing like that) it was a thing that went around your ps3 and had extra cooling fans to keep everything cool cool

I also remember seeing a ps3 cooling tower (or somthing like that) it was a thing that went around your ps3 and had extra cooling fans to keep everything cool cool

I read somewhere that some of these do more harm than good because they fight with the intended airflow through the PS3. If things are clean and your fans are working you should have no problems. Make sure that it isn't in an enclosed cabinet, because they do generate a lot of heat.

My PS3 60GB is shipping back to me already. They had it one day and it's already left the building. I don't know what went wrong though as they didn't say, but I'll have it early next week. Talk about going through withdrawals though....

My PS3 60GB is shipping back to me already. They had it one day and it's already left the building. I don't know what went wrong though as they didn't say, but I'll have it early next week. Talk about going through withdrawals though....

I bet they just ship you a refurbished one. I would be interested if it is your original PS3.

My PS3 sits right on the floor with nothing around it... It only seems to do it when i'm playing madden and NHL online. When i play COD or Socom it never does it?!?!? I really don't fell like sending it in but i might have to. I have a connection at Game Stop that I will have to go visit and see what he says.

Ebass did you just contact Sony off there HSOforum for your problem??

Zamboni - I bought them from the PS3 store. It was really cheap too. I saw the DD's and was like, yup I'm getting that:)

CB - I went to their HSOforum and clicked on PS3 service and you fill out this form along with CC#, submit it and they take out the $$ then put it back until they get it and ship it back to you. I had the YLOD (Yellow Light of Death) as it OVERHEATED.

Some real person emailed me back as I was persistent in knowing what the heck happened. I don't have a clue why it overheated as it's in an open space all the time, but I bet it was dusty in there and I try to keep a clean area (key word is try). I do use it alot and watch all my BluRay movies on there. Its been way more reliable than my Toyota which are supposed to run forever.

For ps3 users who have the older larger version of the ps3. There is a way to blow some dust out with just using the ps3. check this out ...

as for the 360 and over heating. I heard if you get rid of the X clamp and bolt the heat sinc to the xbox mother board and case it will avoid the over heating and warping the mother board.

Originally Posted By: EBass
I'll find out and will let ya know when I get it. I hope it's my old PS3 as I had some hot anime chicks for my background.

How do you get new backgrounds? Do you have to buy them from the PS store?

You can download them for free. I could send you some good ones. I believe they are pretty easy to make as well

Quote:
I bet they just ship you a refurbished one. I would be interested if it is your original PS3.

You were right spearchucker it was a refurb. I saw there was like a download mgt deal that has everything I downloaded. So I got my hot chick anime theme back.

[note to self] make a backup.