• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new decoy project...

Laska

It swims really good actually, just need to put the lead in the body deeper, least that's what I did and she swims great, can't wait to get some epoxy to put the fins in permanently, then paint!

Workin on 2 diff northerns and one more sunfish, this wood is incredible beautiful color, when I hit that sunfish with clearcoat the wood got dark and showed a lot more of the grain, looks like some of these are just getting clear coats

Oh, no an addiction to woodworking starting.... Very nice Laska, there are some awesome woods out there, and many represent a fish like no other! I have some various woods I would be happy to send you if you want to continue the natural edition carvings!! Got some awesome red elm, walnut, ash, oak, maple, all harder woods to work than cedar though!! Keep up the good work!!

Ive carved wish walnut and oak before- o man those are hard, but I dont really have to worry about cracking, yeah think Im addicted to carving decoys now... Time consuming but I enjoy it alot, more than welcome to send me some wood, I know you'll get some carvings in return smile

laska that sunnie is turning out great and you know I love that perch. How long is that pike decoy going to be? BTW that fin material looks familar grin

Yeah I thought the fin material looked familiar too lol, I got 2 different northerns, one shaped like a bear creek n that one is 10 1/4" long and the one in the picture with fins goes exactly 12" long. I have no idea what kinda paint job I'm going to do, any input would be awsome! Thinkin of doing one natural pike and no idea for the other, the sunfish will be natural pumpkin seed colors- more color than a bluegill. The other sunfish I'm thinkin chartreuse with red dots wink and I got one more northern I just need to add fins too n that one is getting shipped up north wink

Fisher email sent

Ill post pics of the nords soon, should be pickin up epoxy tomorrow

Looking good. What kind of paint are you using? I picked up some oil paint and have been exprimenting with that.
I use appLe barrel acrylic paint it can be reduced by water and is permanent, had the best luck with it with no runs.

Rattle- email sent

Originally Posted By: Laska

any input would be awsome! Thinkin of doing one natural pike and no idea for the other,

for that pike I would try floresenct orange/blue and white

That would be a crazy lookin decoy, but I could do it, just picked up epoxy so The painting process should be getting started late tonight... Sounds like I gotta make another perch too so heres that one too...

lots of pictures...

Another sunfish in the works...

IMG00106-20100108-0949.jpg

IMG00107-20100108-1055.jpg

12"nord witt all fins

IMG00105-20100107-2232.jpg

IMG00104-20100107-2230.jpg

Next perch

IMG00108-20100108-1056.jpg

Bear creek anyone? Fatter, faster, better...

IMG00103-20100107-2228.jpg

IMG00102-20100107-2228.jpg

And a special thanks to gordie!

IMG00110-20100108-1101.jpg

Rolled siding aluminum, copper valley tin, and old air conditioner back metal, it all works great! I prefer copper the best for cutting, but they all work about the same as fins... .035 or .025 dia, I think is what it is