• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

75hp vs 90hp

196thDLR

I am trying to figure out what the differences are in a 2003 Yamaha 75hp 4S Tiller, vs a 90hp. According to my manuel, the the weight, cylinder displacement, stroke and compression ratio is the same. Does anyone of the FM viewers know?

When I was buying my Suzuki this year, it was the same thing. The 70hp, 80hp, and 90hp motors were all the same block but tweaked differently for more power. It made me wonder what I was exactly paying for (in terms of physical changes) for the 20hp upgrade!

I read on another forum the only difference is an obstruction in the intake of the 75hp motor. It's a small disc that can be removed. The computer reads the airflow through the intake to determine fuel delivery and the computer "learns" as it goes. Not sure if it's 100% accurate but the guy who said this is an accomplished motor guy and does R&D for some of the MFR's. It's probably worth a look in the intake.

Back in the day when car makes would offer the same engine with multiple HP ratings it was quite involved. Intakes, carbs, heads, compression ratio and cams where often all different.

Would be cool if it where as simple as a ECM change, but whats the cost of an ECM and would you really be saving any money by doing it that way?

Gator Slayer, as mnfishingguy said it's probably a combination of things. The guy who was "an accomplished motor guy" probably boiled it down to essentially saying that there is a restrictor plate/disc for simplicity sake.

In the end, I'm sure that a knowledgeable service tech could tweak out a 75hp to a 90hp motor for less than the dealer charges. However, for all that I'll pay the extra cash to just get the 90hp if that's what I want.

Well the guy is a world champion, world record holder in USA powerboating. He also does R&D for Merc. and has done some testing for the others. If I were you I'd look in the intake and if you find an obstruction pull it. If you get better performace, question solved at no cost. If you think it's not helping then I'd try a dealer. If you would like I can post the question on the "refuge forum" and see if Danny will answer it.

Well the guy is a world champion, world record holder in USA powerboating. He also does R&D for Merc. and has done some testing for the others. If I were you I'd look in the intake and if you find an obstruction pull it. If you get better performace, question solved at no cost. If you think it's not helping then I'd try a dealer. If you would like I can post the question on the "refuge forum" and see if Danny will answer it.

US-1 does know what he is talking about based on the things I have read from him. I guess if it were me I would think about giving it a shot.