• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nail in Four Wheeler Tire

Chad Luebker

Hello -

I was just getting ready to put on my chains and noticed a nail in the back tire. It's about 3/4 the way in the tire. I assume if I pull it out the tire will go flat. If I take the wheeler or tire somewhere is it possible they can put a plug in an ATV tire or is there not enough tire pressure? What does everyone recommend?

Thanks,

Chad

Pull it out and buy a Tire plug kit. Costs about 5 bucks and about 5 minuets to fix

I've gone this route many times before. I figure why pay someone else to fix the tire when I can do it myself.

Several years ago when I did a considerable amount of tire work in a service station, we preferred to use a uni-seal. I haven't seen anyone use them since. A uni-seal is a combination of a patch and a plug. To use them, you need to remove the tire from the rim and install from the inside.

plug it yourself...easy fix and much cheaper than having mechanic do it.

i second that. so easy: 1. pull the nail out 2.rasp the hole 3. insert plug in tool (may add rubber cement to plug) 4. insert plug into prepped hole but not all way through (follow instructions) 5. pull tool out and plug will stay in tire 6. snip off leftover plug 7. buy some refreshments with the $15 you just saved.

...works great for cars/trucks too.