• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Junco with the 100-400L

I missed my 100-400L so much that after trying Mic's the other day I had to go and get one for my own Christmas gift. smile

Luckily,I found a new one for $1200-I didn't realize those things are up to almost $1600 now!! [shame on you Canon]

I really had the "old shoe fits" syndrome while I tried it out today. A Junco was all I could find,but it was a fitting 1st shot for a new lens. I had to clone out a few overlapping branches that made the chaotic background even worse.

After the obligatory myriad of Micro Adjust tests on the tripod last night it was found that she was spot on and didn't need a step in either direction. smirk

The 7D and this lens seem to be a great combo. 18mp may seem like too much,but about 50% of this image was cropped away and it still shows good detail.

Exif: 7D,100-400L,5.6AV 1/1600TV,ISO 800,400mm,Shot in RAW converted in ACR 5.6.

4217473982_37e2a065d5_o.jpg

Way to go, MM. Nice to see that the old tools are still getting put to good use. Canon has been ramping up its lens prices by a significant percentage every year. Not only does it cost more to buy new glass, it costs more to buy used glass because while the price of used glass trails new glass, it does keep about the same amount of distance behind. frown

Nice job not torching the whites on that well lit side/belly. Kind of a tough exposure situation, handled perfectly imo. That's some sweet light though, really gave some great detail to the bird. Clone job is pretty nice as well, can barely tell....

Thanks Shawn.

Steve,in regards to the prices,do you think Canon is trying to mirror Nikon's prices? The last time I bought a new 100-400 from Canoga it was around $1100 after the rebate-that wasn't too long ago!

That lens still offers more bang for the buck in Canon's line up than any other IMO.

No, I think Canon has made a simple and considered move to increase profits. Canon makes very little profit on camera bodies, from what I've read. This mirrors the computer industry as a whole (DSLRs are nothing more than computers that capture and render image data). They daren't increase DSLR prices because that market is in a fight to the death, so they've increased prices where they could without losing market share, and that means lenses. Nikon has been doing some price increasing of their own, if I remember correctly, and the equivalent Canon lenses are still priced well under Nikon in most cases.

That's all IMO.

Wow, such nice detail and light. Juncos are cute.

I'm surprised how much Canon lenses have increased in the last couple of years. About three years ago I bought a 135m f/2.8 SF new for $239 from BH Photo. Although it's not a common lens, it now costs about $549 new. Even the mid range primes have jumped up an awful lot.

Cheryl