• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need Ideas for Next Get TO Gator

bassNspear

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Meat-Run
Make it on whitefish Chain and on the 30th or the weekend after.

Meat-Run

Is there a public access on upper whitefish that is usable? I drove up there last week and found one, but it didn't look like anyone was using it.

There are many place to get on Whitefish, Depends where you want to fish. On Upper whitefish there is Delta bay landing, (where the Pine River dumps in) on the West side, Also have Killworry resort on the north end, they charge a couple bucks to go through on a honor system box.

On the south side you can get on off Old Whiskey road, takes you out by the islands. On Lower Hay there is a public access on the south side, but the ice was only 7-8" as of last friday.

There is a small landing (rough) on Pig bay, more on Lower Whitefish, and also can drive off the road on Rutger bay, using Rutger road. Also there is a landing on the East side of Big Trout lake, and 2 on the East side of Crosslake. Many options out there, just stay away from the channels, they don't freeze up or if they do it's very thin.

[quote name="mnspearingguider

Is there a public access on upper whitefish that is usable? I drove up there last week and found one, but it didn't look like anyone was using it. [/quote"]

There are many place to get on Whitefish, Depends where you want to fish. On Upper whitefish there is Delta bay landing, (where the Pine River dumps in) on the West side, Also have Killworry resort on the north end, they charge a couple bucks to go through on a honor system box.

On the south side you can get on off Old Whiskey road, takes you out by the islands. On Lower Hay there is a public access on the south side, but the ice was only 7-8" as of last friday.

There is a small landing (rough) on Pig bay, more on Lower Whitefish, and also can drive off the road on Rutger bay, using Rutger road. Also there is a landing on the East side of Big Trout lake, and 2 on the East side of Crosslake. Many options out there, just stay away from the channels, they don't freeze up or if they do it's very thin.

Delta bay isn't bad to get out of most years, just stay to the right, the current is on the upper left side. On Lower Hay there was only 8" of ice as of last Saturday, that is why there wasn't much activity on it, and slush out there. I know Heaths resort has a road plowed all the way around the north side of Upper.

Delta bay isn't bad to get out of most years, just stay to the right, the current is on the upper left side. On Lower Hay there was only 8" of ice as of last Saturday, that is why there wasn't much activity on it, and slush out there. I know Heaths resort has a road plowed all the way around the north side of Upper.

If the ice was better could you get from Lower Hay onto Whitefish? The channel area must be tricky.

BTW, thanks for posting the whitefish pics. Very cool. My introduction to spearing was tagging along with a high school buddy that speared whitefish. That was many moons ago. I want to try for them myself now.

Originally Posted By: mnspearingguider

If the ice was better could you get from Lower Hay onto Whitefish? The channel area must be tricky.

BTW, thanks for posting the whitefish pics. Very cool. My introduction to spearing was tagging along with a high school buddy that speared whitefish. That was many moons ago. I want to try for them myself now.

Absolutely NOT, Stay away from any channel on the chain, they seldom freeze over, If they do its only about 1-2" of ice at best, the when it warms up around 10 - 20º it will open back up. We just had 2 kids from the metro area drop there snowmobiles through one of the channels, So stay away from them. I'm on one of the fire departments up here. its no fun recovering a body...... They made it out luckily, some frost bite and torn egos. so all was good, except the sled. There was a truck that went through also on Gull lake, out in front of Ernies. didn't get all the details on that.

Originally Posted By: Bass N Spear
dude, you act like your 70 or something

At least he is not as old as elwood smile

ouch I'll still kick your guys arse cutting a hole well me and fishes saw and I just look old laugh

lol, have you noticed hes the only only that gets picked on for everything, geez least you get picked on just for throwing the saw down the hole hahaha!! which I know wasnt your fault............. right?