• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

decoy

shadrapla

In shallower water you can put the decoy down half way.

In deeper water put the decoy down as far as you feel comfortable in hitting the fish with your spear.

For many that is no deeper than 6 to 8 feet.

Generally the fish will come up to the decoy so you don't have to worry about that.

These are all great answers but do not be afraid to run a decoy only a foot under the ice at times. I have speared many pike afoot under the ice in 7-10 fow my personal best 20 lbs was speared a foot under the ice. you will be very suprised at just how many you will see. My typical set up thou is 3-4 foot under the ice in 7-12 fow and then I will move it up and down in the water colum if I feel where I'm at isnt working.

Thanks for reply back so I saw 8 pike and I got one and miss 2 at lake winnibigoshish

So if at 8 to 12 ft deep. How ya aim to pike head. I am new to spearing(2 years)and so far I got 2 pike.

I know its all about time spent over the spear hole it will come to ya them more you get out the better you will get ay it.

Thanks for reply back so I saw 8 pike and I got one and miss 2 at lake winnibigoshish

So if at 8 to 12 ft deep. How ya aim to pike head. I am new to spearing(2 years)and so far I got 2 pike.

This is some advice for people new to darkhouse spearing.

At first you will want to bring your decoys up a bit.

4 to 6 feet under the ice in 8 to 12 ft of water when starting out. You can adjust that later if it seems you need to. The closer your decoys are to you, the closer your shot, and less chance of missing when starting out. Don't bring them up to close that you can't get the tines of your spear in the water though.

Only take shots where the pikes head and gills are entirely under the hole. Also if they are moving around allot wait until they settle down, or simply pass on that one if you can't get a good shot. They just may come back.

When it looks like they are under you and calm, gently lower the head of the spear entirely under the water. Lower the spear from behind the fish. Never in front of the fish. You can get pretty close to them before throwing but I throw when the spear is about 2~3 ft above their head. Aim just behind the gills. If you have a heavy weighted spear you will not need to "throw" the spear much at all. A lighter spear will need to be thrown more.

If your spear makes any splash on the top of the water you probably are going to miss the fish. They are that quick.

If the fish are coming in too fast, you are jigging your decoy too much.

Also watch for the pike to flare it's gills. The gills flare just before they attack the decoy.

You don't have much time at all after the gills flare, so decide quick once that happens.

Follow though with your throw as BnS said earlier. If you are in water deeper than your spear is long, let the rope run though your hands and slowly stop it after it connects with the pike.

Gently but quickly pull the fish up and out of the water and away from the hole.

Always remember, you don't have to take the shot. If it is not a good shot then don't take it. It is beter to let the pike swim away unharmed than to possibly wound it. It or one of it's friends will be back at some point in time.

Always practice selective harvest, keep the smaller ones to eat and let the big girls go, unless you want a trophy. Only take what you need and use everything you take.

Right on the head merk, I have quite a few fish under my belt now n I just started last year, my deaks r generally a little lower but that's me and I've practiced just throwing the spear, simply went out just to practice, ill have a dead sucker ill trow down the hole n just keepshooting til I get it down, now I'm on to longer shots which is fun but lots of practice cuz when one comes in I don't want to just wound it unless its next to perfect I don't throw