• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good pike recipe

Huey

I did an internet search for pike recipes and found a good one on a Deer River, MN area guide's HSOforum. I don't think I'm allowed to post a link.

Anyways, it was tasty and easy to make, plus I think it's a fairly healthy way to cook fish.

Here it is;

Coat serving size pieces of northern pike filets with olive oil, sprinkle with cajun spice mix, and then pan fry at relatively high heat so it ends up semi-blackened.

I tried this for the 1st time on Monday. It turned out well. I put too much seasoning on a couple pieces and they were salty, otherwise it was good. It was a nice way to enjoy the 1st pike of the year.

Layer four or five pads of butter and generous amounts of thinly sliced onions over each fillet, drizzle on some cocktail sauce, wrap it all in foil and bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes (depending upon the thickness of the fillets). It all steams together and really flakes out the fish. Yum! Cold water pike is the best fish there is...love my crappies and walleyes, but give me a 4-5 pound pike from the spear hole any day...

I always take all the "y" bones out first, but even if you don't, this method makes it easy to pick them out as you go.

Pike is versatile--firm and white and flaky--there is much more you can do with this fish than old googly eyes and crappies. It even holds up pretty well to grilling which opens up even more possibilities.