• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Network keeps dropping

How can I figure out what causes my network to drop?

I'll be playing PS3 online fine, then all of a sudden it'll drop.

I'll get on the laptop and I cannot access anything for 3-4 minutes, then it'll work again, without resetting anything.

Same thing with the PS3. I'll get a "no network connection" message for 1-2 minutes, then it works fine.

Or playing online poker (yes, maybe I do have a little too much free time) it'll be working fine, but then keep dropping and restarting for 3-4+ minutes.

It's usually at night, but then maybe I notice it more then because I'm the only one awake and have more time to spend doing these things.

i had something very similar happen to me when playing xbox and halo 3. i did some looking on the internet and i guess someone that gets upset when they lose to you can find your ip address and overload it with information that causes your internet connection to slow way down or stop completely.

i called my isp after it happened one time and they couldn't find my modem out there in internet land. they sent a tech over the next day and when he hooked up to my line, i was at full strength and everything was working fine. thats when i realized it was happening when i was trying to play halo 3 online.

How can I figure out what causes my network to drop?

I'll be playing PS3 online fine, then all of a sudden it'll drop.

I'll get on the laptop and I cannot access anything for 3-4 minutes, then it'll work again, without resetting anything.

Same thing with the PS3. I'll get a "no network connection" message for 1-2 minutes, then it works fine.

Or playing online poker (yes, maybe I do have a little too much free time) it'll be working fine, but then keep dropping and restarting for 3-4+ minutes.

It's usually at night, but then maybe I notice it more then because I'm the only one awake and have more time to spend doing these things.

Is this happening over wired, wireless or both?

Some routers can start to choke up after a certain amount of traffic, especially if there are multiple devices accessing the router. When you lose the connection, it might just be doing a soft internal reset to purge itself so it can handle the traffic again. Most newer routers do not have this problem - can you tell me what you have for a device?

I see your in stacy, is this with northstar, quest or warpdrive? This drop could actually be on your ISP's end and not from your equipment. They might be performing an update to one of their gateways or initiating a dns flush. It gets even more common with cable modems as you are sharing your connection with any neighbors connected to the same spoke - those adult videos they start watching late at night can really eat up the bandwidth!

I would check to make sure your ISP doesn't have a limit to how much you can download or upload.

I have my "so called" hi-speed internet through a satellite and we used to have a 7GB max for downloads. That is, until my oldest decided he was going to spend his days playing his XBox online and exceeded our 7GB limit.

Our service was throttled down to the point of being dead for over a week before we finally bit the bullet and upgraded to the next package.

We have Frontier for a service.

We have a Speedstream Modem - from Frontier, wired to a Belkin N+ MIMO router, with a Linksys Range expander.

As I said, it happens at night, but sometimes during the day.

We have (2) desktop units running through (2) range expanders. I have a desktop in the office downstairs, as well as an older desktop in the shop about 150 feet from the router.

We also have (2) laptops, PS3 and Wii that all access as well, although at most 2 at a time, as like right now, where I'm playing PS3 and on FM at the same time.

I'll be playing fine, then all of a sudden I get "no network connection" and booted offline for 2-3 minutes, then I can play again.

I don't ever experience any real lagging or other "slowdown" of info, just no access.

Are the laptops, PS3 and Wii going direct to the belkin, or also through the range expander?

I know the Belkin draft N routers had connectivity issues when they first started coming out. I'd recommend updating the routers firmware if you haven't already.

I'm also assuming everything is wireless based on what you have listed. You could try direct connecting one of the machines to the belkin, then when you lose connectivity with your PS3 you can check the direct connect PC to see if it is the same. What we're trying to isolate is if it is a wireless broadcast issue, our with the router itself.

I understand what you are trying to do.

They are pretty much going through the range expander, as the router is on the other side of the house, with a tinfoil "dish" to direct the most signal to the shop in order to get a signal out there.

I'll have to pull the router from behind the bed sometime and hook the cable up to it, so the next time the signal drops, I can hook the laptop up and see if there's still a signal.

I think what will happen though, is that by the time the signal drops, I get the laptop booted and hooked up, that the signal will be back again.

If you are getting a "no network" type of error that is more than likely local network. I am not familiar with PS3 but I sure sounds like your wireless is dropping it or it is momentarily dropping it. Couple things I can think of is the upgrade the firmware on the AP, your router, and if at all possible upgrade the drivers for your wireless NIC(network interface card). I have had this in both of the Wireless networks I have built at work and occasionally on my home network. But I have not had that issue since I upgraded my home network. Get everything updated and see if that helps.

LWNMWRman,

When you set up your range extender, do you use the same name (ESSID) for the range extender as your main network is called or do you name it something different?

I read the instructions but it doesn't specify. I tried to name it the same as the router SSID or (network name) but it stopped my wireless signal. Of course I have to go into set up a few other things in the background yet but am stumped on this part of it. I would think that it would be also called your network SSID, but also thinking it could be to identify this piece of equipment on the network.

Say my SSID from my router is called "FISH", would I set the ESSID on the range extender to "FISH" or can I call it some thing different not related to the network at all?

Mine are all called the same thing.

If someone can answer this for me.....

Where the PS3, I used to be able to get a 50% signal rate from the wireless router.

I put the range extender in so I could get a much higher rate (95-100%).

Is it possible I have the 2 too close together and the signals are getting crossed periodically?

I realize the PS3 should lock onto the RE, but I also cut grass for a living. grin

It could be that there is not enough separation between the 2. if the signals overlap too much it will be able to decide which one to choose from. I would also make sure the 2 devices are broadcasting on separate channels. You can chose from 1, 6 or 11. I have not tried this on home versions of wireless, but try turning down the signal strength a little on your home base unit if you can.