• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lakes Closed to Darkhouse Spearing

merkman

This has been posted in previous years and I think it is a very good reference.

Please remember the purpose of this post to informational only.

Please do not use this thread to discuss the pros or cons of darkhouse spearing and if it should be allowed or not. This is an informational post to inform the darkhouse spearing public and newcomers to our sport about the current regulations.

If there is incorrect information here please let me know and I will update it.

This list is not an end all be all, it is only a guide. In all cases check the regulations, statutes and or MnDNR personel for the latest information.

Thanks

[info added by admin.]

Some regulations could have changed since this document was updated. For complete fishing regulations consult Minnesota Statutes and Rules for DNR.

Effective March 1, 2009. Updated Oct. 20, 2009.

Lakes Closed to Spearing

Lake - County

Baby - Cass, closed to spearing

Beers - Otter Tail, closed to spearing

Big - Beltrami, closed to spearing

Big Mantrap - Hubbard, closed to spearing

Cass - Cass, closed to spearing

Cross - Pine, closed to spearing

Deer - Itasca, closed to spearing

Lobster - Douglas, closed to spearing

Mille Lacs - Aitkin & Mille Lacs, closed to spearing

Minnetonka, + connecting - Hennepin & Carver, closed to spearing 12/1 to 4th Sunday in Feb. waters: Forest, Libbs, Peavy, Tanager

Moose - Itasca, closed to spearing

North Star, Little N. Star - Itasca, closed to spearing

Rush - Chisago, closed to spearing

Spider - Itasca, closed to spearing

Stieger - Carver, closed to spearing

Sugar - Wright, closed to spearing

Wabedo - Cass, closed to spearing

West Battle - Otter Tail, closed to spearing

why do they limit where you can do this at? not fully understanding the style of darkhouse spearing, is there a big draw to do it? how does this affect the non resident?

I am sorry but this is only an informational post.

You might want to post those questions in another thread.

I don't mean to be rude, but I would rather this tread stays here and does not become too cluttered or removed.

You can spear Kitchi I know that for sure (getting on it is another issue), but I am not sure about Pike bay as I was told its part of Cass Lake, not spearable but then I have been told that it is its' own lake and therefore spearable? I know you can spear other lakes on the Cass Lake chain...so one would think you can spear pikes bay.

Can one spear on pike bay?

Pike Bay has it's own DOW Number

Pike Bay - 11041500

On the Lake finder site it lists that there are "Special and/or Experimental Fishing Regulations exist on this lake. Please refer to our online Minnesota Fishing Regulations."

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=11041500

When I checked the online Minnesota Fishing Regulations it does not say you can't spear it only that

Pike Bay (Cass County) muskellunge: Minimum size limit 48".

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2009.pdf#page=40

I will run this by the Darkhouse Assn to ask the DNR.

Some have previously asked the DNR for clarification on certain connected waters and it seems if the local "powers that be" are not spearing friendly, they just decide that those waters should be banned.

That is what happened when some people asked about the Baudette and Winter Road Rivers.

We don't want to make that mistake again.

Connecting waters are very confusing and no one at the DNR can provide an actual specific list of actual lakes and or waters.

It is very frustrating but all we can do is work with what we have.

Kitchi looks the same

"Special and/or Experimental Fishing Regulations exist on this lake. Please refer to our online Minnesota Fishing Regulations."

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=04000700

Kitchi Lake (Beltrami County) muskellunge: Minimum size limit 48".

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2009.pdf#page=36

All I know is it is a mess.

It seems everything is up to interpretation.

I still don't understand how can you have enforceable laws when they are so ambiguous?

The DNR list still has French as being closed, when it was reopened years ago.

No...I know Kitchi drains into Pug hole which goes into Cass, Big rice & Little Rice drain into Kitchi up farther so.. and Pikes Bay drains into Cass because the Mississippi leaves Cass on the east side there. Well I know you can spear Kitchi cuz I talked to a guy who does & is local when I went to school up there. But I was always told you couldn't spear Pikes bay from the bait shops, and I figured that was because it was a bay off of Cass like Allen's...(didn;t know that Pikes bay has its own # even, thanks merkman). Like ya said its a confusing mess.

Like ya said its a confusing mess.

Hopefully one of these years we can get this mess cleaned up.

Make sure to let your state legislators know that you feel it is a mess and needs a little work to be cleaned up.

The legislators are the ones who make the laws, they need to know if you feel they are not working and need to be tweaked.