• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hood Repair

givetoget

If you are more concerned about breakage than looks, the easiest and strongest way to repair it is to make a small aluminum patch that fits on the inside and bridges the crack fully. Then drill and rivet as needed. If it is going to be a permanent repair some structural adhesive in between will help keep it solid. The sooner you stop the crack the better!

well one thing i would do anyway would be to locate the ends of the crack and drill a very small hole at the end. this way the crack hopefully will stop there and not continue on. we do this in metal when we have a running crack it will allow the fiberglass to flex a tad. you could get some fiberglass cloth and resin and do a patch on the back side of the hood to keep it tight. good luck

Go to an auto body paint store. I cant remember the part # but 3m makes a two part epoxy that will glue that right up strong as all get out. I used it on a couple of different sleds with cracked hoods and they are still holding up fine after 10 years.

I mentioned the epoxy last for porta sleds I will look back and try to find the part # for you.

Found it. As I said its a 3M product. Called rigid parts repair kit part # 5883 there is another one for flexible parts the part # is 5895. The stuff is spendy at around $50 but well worth it.

I wish I still had the stuff,loaned it out and never got it back.