• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do you set up?

waterbound

I was just thinking about spearing because...well, why not? So I thought I'd ask about how you set up...what depth, water clarity, what kinds of structure? Do you use spoons, decoys, suckers or a combination?

I don't worry too much about clarity, as long as I can see the bottom I'm happy. Usually about 10 feet but I'm comfortable going anywhere from 6-15 feet. I like drop offs and weedlines if I can find them, usually where the weeds transition to sand. I run mostly decoys but I have tried suckers and spoons (and even suckers suspended below spoons!)

For where I live I have to travel so normally I go on lakes I havent had a chance to really fish so I look for other darkhouses and set up on the outside edge of them, normally I stay in shallower water for 3 reasons, Northerns I have caught normally arent deeper than 10', second I like to be able to see the bottom, it also makes it easier on letting the spear go and knowing im going to hit something, farther distances increase the miss ratio n 3rd Water clarity averages 4 to 5ft on most lakes and going ne deeper seems to make ya think clarity is way less than it actually is... Not saying I havent speared in 20' of water but I just dont need too. I do like setting up around downed logs and or weedlines, pike like both these areas to stalk their prey= I stalk nords in this way....

As far as Decoys n bait, I use around 8"-10" suckers minnows on a live harness and run a seperate line for a decoy either smaller or larger than my live bait.

so overall sounds like we do about the same thing...

so i didnt get out much this year fishing to mark spots for spearing. so how can i find weeds or good structure. i dont have a underwater camera or that would make it really easy.

Drill a hole and clean out the slush.

Put a blanket over your head as you look down the hole.

I also like to set up on drop offs and weed edges, any where from 3' to 15' as long as I can see the bottom. I use an 8-12" sucker minnow, on a spearing pin, about half way to the bottom and a 6-7" decoy 3/4 of the way to the bottom. I always use 2 decoys, ocasionally I will drop a spoon down with the other two and jig for 5-10 min.

favorite depths 7-10fow but have set as shallow as three and as deep as 21 fow. I like useing live decoy suckers on a pin and the bigger the better also I will spin a spoon at the same time as the decoy is down

as for clear water the lake that I mostly spear its hard to see the bottom in 7 fow but I do very well and I only set my decoys 1-2 ft under the ice so seeing the bottom isnt that important to me.I've been on lakes that are crystal clear and have done well also.

structure is points deep weed lines transitions from mud to sand with sparse weeds. I also have been useing the fake weeds to see how the pike react and its been alright but I need to try it more

thanks. i was thinking about using those fake weeds too this year. now do you drill holes around your house and put them out or do you just set them in the spear hole? i heard that people like using them for pan fish but end up getting pike in there hole.

another question when you use a portable and you cut your hole and you take down you end up with a hole what do you do. mark it with a tree limb or what figure i better get that figured out.

I put the weeds just on the outside of the hole not to far and I like to seethem or some of them in front of me.

After your done spearing I push the block of ice back in the hole and mark it with tree limbs on the oppisite corners of the hole. dont need someone falling in there.

ok thanks. so you take the ice out instead of pushing it under.

I feel that is the safest if you are going to move that day.

It plugs the hole and freezes back faster.

Always mark your holes with branches though!!!

If I am going to sit on a spot I will put the ice back in the hole and push it under the ice after I am done spearing for the weekend.

It is gone by the time I come out the next weekend.

Never leave large chunks of ice laying on top of the ice.

It could be fatal for high speed snowmobilers or at least very expensive for ATV's or Vehicles.

Break up the big chunks with your chisel or put them down the hole.

ok thanks. so you take the ice out instead of pushing it under. and how thick of ice before you stop using portable ice house?

I will use a portable all season so when my perm is out I will use that and if I wanna jump aroud from lake to lake I can