• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Darton Ranger III vs Mission Menace

mnwild14

I am looking at getting my 11 yo son a bow for christmas, he has been shooting the Genesis, and would like to start hunting next fall. Has anyone done much of a comparison of the Ranger III and Menace, they both seem reasonable but was wondering if anyone knew any pros/cons comparing the two. Price seems close, draw weight and length are similar, and actual weight are close. Probably the main question would be is one better quality than another, other advantages?

Thanks for suggestions

I'm not personally familiar with either you have mentioned but can offer up a third alternative of the Diamond RazorEdge. Great little bow that will back down half it's peak draw weight (30-60#). Very popular with youth & ladies alike.

That being said, I've only heard great things on the Mission line as a whole so I'm sure the Menace would be a great option as well.

He'll be thrilled with whatever you choose.

I am looking at getting my 11 yo son a bow for christmas, he has been shooting the Genesis, and would like to start hunting next fall. Has anyone done much of a comparison of the Ranger III and Menace, they both seem reasonable but was wondering if anyone knew any pros/cons comparing the two. Price seems close, draw weight and length are similar, and actual weight are close. Probably the main question would be is one better quality than another, other advantages?

Thanks for suggestions

They should both be very suitable for a first bow. I am not familiar with either of the models you have specifically named, but I would for sure buy your son a bow that has an adjustable draw length. At his age he will probably grow out of the bow you buy him by next year, and could have a different draw length for the next 5 years depending how he grows.

The Diamond Razor Edge is a great suggestion for a youth/teenager with the ability to adjust from very low up to 60 lbs and over 10" of draw length adjustments without changing modules or cams.

I got my 11 year old daughter a Darton Ranger III for her birthday last June. She started out at 25 lbs and was up to 30 by bow season. Although she didn't arrow a deer, she had 3 within 15 yds, which we determined would be her effective range. The doe offered no shot and she passed on the 2 fawns.

My dad sells alot of the Darton Ranger III's and I've never heard any complaints about them.

I'm not familiar with the other bows the guy's mentioned. You might want a bow that will go below 30 lbs just in case he has a hard time pulling 30 lbs back. Drawing a Genesis bow and an actual compound bow is different. The biggest thing is to make sure the bow fits him well.

Brian

After comparing alot of youth bows I bought my daughter the Mission UX2. 10 in. of draw adjustment and 30# of weight adjustment. We started her off at 28# and within a month she was at 34# with no problem holding it back. The Mission lifetime warranty was a plus, I have 4 kids the eleven year old is the oldest and I am planning on all of them shooting this bow when they are ready. I have nothing but good things to say about the bow.