• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chainsaw or Fish toys hand saw?

APCfishing

Pros:

You don't have to start the fish toys saw.

It is lighter and much less messy.

Easier to maintain.

You won’t get wet cutting the hole.

It has a wider kerf so the block has an easier time coming out and less tendency to refreeze when being cut.

No oil in the finished hole

Stand up operation. Not bending over.

Cons:

It's manual operation.

It can be argued either way.

I have a fish saw and do not own a chainsaw or an auger.

I love the fish saw at all times except when I am half way though cutting a 3' X 4' hole though 2 1/2' of ice

I have yet to see the perfect way to cut a hole in the ice but for now the fish saw gets my vote for the best way.

Maybe others can add to the list of Pros and Cons.

Best bet is thru here, but ya might have a problem finding one that someone wants to sell, we all love ours here, Id recommend just saving your pennies til you can afford one or go to both GTG's and try to win one!

I have used both, the fish toys saw is great from first ice until you get 15-18" of ice. Then I prefer the chainsaw. I only use my chainsaw for cutting ice, it has a 36" bar and I never have had bar oil in it, so there is no film left on the water. To reopen the hole I prefer the fish toys saw.

My saw is a Jonsred 262 or 265, I will file the rakers down a little, but not too much. I usually don't get that wet at all. You have to keep the motor just off the ice and keep it tipped back, so that the chip exit is pointing toward the ice at an angle. I usually will cut the out line and the lines to make the blocks smaller, all except for bout 1-2" from the water. Then I will finnish the last 1-2" of ice.

Does anybody have any experience with the Nils saw or some history of this kind of saw? I know the Fish toy is a sponsor but I was hoping to see a non-bias comparison? The reason I'm inquirying is that I found one on sale that I liked and the hinge part is a little better than the Fish Toy but don't know how it cuts or handles the ice compared the Fish Toy.

thanks,

mr