• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog food

Ballyhoo

I too avoid corn. Corn is sweet, and if you have a hyper dog already, it is like adding sugar to their system. While i understand most brands have some wheat or corn in them, if they are first on the list or close to the top, you can figure they are used for mostly filler. I do agree it does hold some nutritional value is not correct but it is a starch rather than a healthy vegetable. It did make a difference in our puppies not to have them on corn. Good point tho 311

I was using Eukanuba until my dog developed watery stools. After chasing things around, I discovered my dog has a allergy to corn and wheat.

I switched to Taste of the Wild Wetlands formula because it is no grain dog food. The stool problem is solved and his coat never looked better. Dog loves it not to terrible on the wallet at $42 for 35lb bag.

Now my buddy he insists on Pedigree and never has had an issue. So each dog is different.

However, I do think there is something with corn, wheat and dogs. The sales guy at the local mill gave me this explanation on dog food.

Would you eat Kraft Mac and cheese every day? You can get all the nutrition you need from it but in the long run it is not the best for you. Now if you eat a balanced diet you will be healthier in the long run. The grain free dog food is more balanced for dogs with less fillers or fillers that actually provide something to the dog.

I'm with Tybo my setter is a little over 2 yrs and I've been feeding him NutriSource for about 2 yrs. This fall I went with the Performance for the hunting months as well. No complaints here. He's in great shape and it works very well. Also a MN brand.

The only other one I've thought about trying is Native. Any Native people out there? Also seems like a very good product.

Yeah I was hoping you'd chime in...saw Bens Brittanys listed on the Natives HSOforum. I didn't realize you distributed too. Very cool. My pet store is going to get me a bag to try. I don't think you can go wrong with both NutriSourse or Native.

I fed Nutri Source before Native. I switched partly because Native had a better breeder program. Native also has more Calories per serving witch means 2 thinks. 1) it is more digestable. 2) more energy & less weight loss when working hard.

I had a couple dogs that I could not keep the weight on with Nutri Source, after about 2 years of Native they have put on a few pounds & maintained it.

It is a rich food so if you only feed once a day it may cause loose stoles