• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another Northern Hawk Owl

Jim Almquist

This was taken saturday morning 8/10 of a mile north of cty rd 133 on Hwy 7 or else you could say the Zac Zim Bog. He was hunting over a creek. This was cropped because of the distance off the road. I did see 5 Eagles and all sorts of Blue and Gray Jays as well as 2 small flocks of Pine Grosbeaks.

LB7D8269copy.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments on my first sighting of the winter and I am sure there will be plenty more to come. I am sorry that I do not know what type of tree this was and I also noticed that it looked like it was budding but not till it was on my computer. If I get a chance I will stop by and check it out.

Thanks for the ID help Steve. Jason and I have a few rib cages hung but the final placements will be done when things freeze up. The bog is very wet and with the warm temps it makes it tough to go just anywhere. I found out the hard way and filled my boots and sunk up to my knees. The water is VERY cold and should freeze soon.

I had to get the ribs out of the back of my truck because they were getting a little gamey grin

Jim & Jason

Are the deer racks in the same spots as last year? 2008/09 these racks/feeders were placed on the Arkola Rd ( CR 52 ) and along Owl Avenue south of Overton Rd and of course the Admiral Rd. Did you guys consider about putting a rack on the McDavitt Rd? I know Johnny had a feeder on Owl Avenue with some deer racks. These places offered photographers and birders tons of entertainment plus photos.

I thank you Jim and Jason for providing us birders and photographers places to photograph and observe some great boreal birds.

Late Feb of 2010 I am going to erect hopefully two Great Gray Owl nesting platform in the bog with the help of a carpenter/farmer in the Meadowlands area and also hang some wicker baskets for Long-eared Owls.

Mike

Mike the rack that Jason has on Admiral is in the same spot amd the 2 racks that I put on Arkola are on the north side of the road but one of those and maybe both will be moved once the ground is frozen. I did check out a spot on McDavitt that I thought we be a good spot and I still might use it but it will take a little work simple because the tree that I want to use is alive and has no perch's for the birds to land at before they get to the food. It would be a great spot because there would be light on it almost all day and the background would make for some very nice shots. I just need to bring my saw because there is a downed tree close by that I could wire up to the tree that is alive and then we would have the best of both worlds. I did see a spot on Stickney that looked good and another on 83 so when I put these up I will put down more exact directions.

Mike what size baskets do the Long-eared Owls need ? We have a number of baskets from the cabin that are just sitting around that we could donate to the cause.