• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads for arrows

MUSKY18

Hi all:

Let me start by saying that I am new to the bow hunting game. Usually only gun hunt, but recently bought my first bow setup. It came complete and ready to go. It is nothing fancy, but here is my question. The bow is a PSE Nova4, and it came with Easton 2413 Superlite arrows. The arrows came with field tips that screw in. I am going to purchase some broadheads so I can get out in the woods and bow hunt for the rest of the season. Are all screw in broadheads the same size and will screw into my arrows or is there a specific size i need to be looking for? Also, what is you recommended grain for broadheads? I was looking at Muzzy 100gr 4-blade to use. Don't know if it makes a difference, but my bow is a 30 inch draw and set at 68 pounds right now. Thanks again.

i have heard better things about the muzzy 100 grain 3 blade.i don't know how much practice time you have in but make sure you are grouping well at the distance you plan on shooting which i would try to keep at 20 yards or less if you are just starting out.also shoot your broadheads before you head out to make sure they are shooting right on.good luck,take your time,wait for your shot and remember to breathe.let us know how things work out for you.

Pretty much any commercial broadhead will screw into your insert (aluminum tip on the end of your arrow.) As far as weight. match whatever the shop setup your pratice tips at (75-125 grains), most likely they are 100 grain. There are a lot of great broadheads out there, any Muzzys are great.

Don't get wrapped up in all of the hype about the broadheads that cost $14 a peice either. Any broadhead sent through the boiler room of a deer WILL KILL IT, PERIOD! The deer doesn't care if your broadhead cost $3 or $50.

Any broadhead will work if they fly true and are sharp.

B-man is right, there's a lot of broadheads out there and any will work. It's the accuracy that's the key. Practice, practice and then practice some more. Bowhunters need to take extra steps to be sure they minimize any chance for error. I started my kids out by putting a paper sandwich plate on the target ( the smaller ones ). Any distance they could hit it, every time... they could shoot from. As they became better shots, they increased their yardage.

Personally, the muzzys seem to keep coming up when talking about broadheads. They're tried and true. But in my years I've tried too many to count. I always comes down to shot placement.

Good Luck!!!

Bret, yes the thread is standard, beyond that there are a world of choices. Muzzy is a good option though the 3 blade far more popular than the 4. Go with the weight of head that your arrow and bow combo is tuned up for, as far as good arrow flight, etc. 100 gr is most popular. Generally a heavier head makes the shaft act weaker, but has a bit more energy, and a lighter head makes the shaft act stiffer, while being a little faster. It's all in how it's tuned. As mentioned above make sure they are sharp, which Muzzys are pretty good.The main point to not overlook is to shoot and sight in (move the pins if necessary) the actual broadheads you will be using. Too many people "assume" that their broadhead of choice will hit the same point as their field points. Not always true, even when tuned well. Braodheads are longer and give the arrow a different balance point (FOC - front of center). It's also easier for the vanes or feathers on the arrow to control a field point than a broadhead, which acts like wings on the front of the arrow. That's why mechanicals are so popular, they are generally easier to get to fly and hit the same as your practice arrows, especially as we use lighter arrows, smaller vanes, and faster setups. Good luck.

Just stay away from 'over the top' expandable heads. A good first broadhead would be muzzy. I staarted out with the old thunderheads and have tried a lot of different heads over the years. As stated above the bottom line is that if you make a good shot they will all work. I'm one of the guys that spends "too much" and shoots rage broadheads. I just like seeing gaping entry and exits and walking up to my deer on a red carpet.