• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

7D first impressions

Dbl

Just thought a few might be interested in my first impressions of the 7D. I have done some extensive testing of the auto focus system over the past two weeks. Long story short the camera focus speed is faster than the xxD series cameras but not quite as good as the Mark IIN I have. Its' very good and close but I would still not rank it as good as the IIN. Once the system locks on and starts tracking it does a very good job.

I have used all the different focus modes and for tracking things on the ground the single point expanded focus assist mode seems to work best for me. The zone focus has some real possibilities for BIF shots from what I can see. I just haven't had a chance to point the camera at a bird yet.

ISO in the mid-range seems on par with the 50D, high ISO the 7D is much better. A bit of noise from ISO 200 to 800 but nothing real noticeable and easily taken care of with a touch of noise reduction if you are inclined. None of the shots below have been touched up for noise. You really need to get into 100% crops to see any of it.

All in all I am very happy with the camera so far. I will be tempted sometime in the next few months to sell my 50D and go to another 7D. After a month of shooting indoors I will have a much better handle on whether that will make sense or not.

I have already used the video mode on a shoot and provided a small clip at no charge. It has some real possibilities and I look forward to learning a whole another part of the future of shooting with a DSLR.

A couple of shots from the camera from the other night. This is about as much fall color as I have seen this year!

#1. ISO 640 with a 300/2.8 and 1.4TC.

678762303_HgPPD-XL.jpg

#2. ISO 320 same combination of lens and TC

678762816_zeBhF-XL.jpg

#3. ISO 320 same as above

678763062_iuGLL-XL.jpg

#4. ISO 640 Shot wider just for the leaves in the background.

678762219_CkWNg-XL.jpg

Looking good! I wonder how the ISO performance is against the D300S. I assume they are pretty close but I wonder with that 18 MP sensor. A very nice camera though. I always thought the 40D and 50D were out matched by the D300. The 7D seems to have eliminated that gap.

Nice work, Dan, and thanks for sharing those impressions. Hands-on perspectives from a pro are great to have when evaluating whether a piece of gear is what a person needs to get.

Looks like Canon hit one out of the park considering price point, IQ, performance and features. Took awhile.

Looking good! I wonder how the ISO performance is against the D300S. I assume they are pretty close but I wonder with that 18 MP sensor. A very nice camera though. I always thought the 40D and 50D were out matched by the D300. The 7D seems to have eliminated that gap.

I was at a local camera shop a few days ago and they were saying the 7D was pretty much made specifically to compete with the D300