• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NYIP

yes that was a good thing for the course. I was afraid I was going to lose interest in it though,, and they have it set up so you can make monthly payments on it as well,, as I said my friend got it, and although I haven't talked to her in ages, she did say that it forced her to work harder at this fun hobby and learn from it! perhaps I'll add that she is now gone off on her own and is deemed a "professional photographer"

perhaps that's why we haven't had a chance to get caught up,, she's busy with her new business.. something to be said for that eh??

let us know if you decide to make the decision to go for it, I'd be interested in what you think of it.

Sue

I bought into it last spring. The way it works is that they give you a lesson book with a DVD and a CD. The lesson books are getting updated with new digital info but the DVDs are very old with a lot of outdated information in them. I never could bring myself to sit through a CD because they too were outdated. A lot of the information in the DVD and CDs is still relevant but I couldn't get past the bell bottoms and leisure suits. Ok, it wasn't quite that bad but not much.

The lesson books are pretty good and there are some good projects in them.

I put mine on hold since my wife got laid off and I don't think I will be going back to it. I know a local photographer that used the program and she didn't get her money's worth if you know what I mean. smile

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I was disappointed. I was given some good advice from one of the mods here. He reminded me of the boat loads of information at your fingertips right here on the internet and he is right. If you want to find it you will.

Good luck.

I took some classes a few years ago from an online place called betterphoto with the usual . you know what after it. Reasonable and pretty good. Lots of offerings. I'd check it out. Doesn't force you into a "program" - you can pick and choose what you think you need.

Or, book a day with Steve. You can see what he has to offer on the Sponsor Showcase forum.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket but I was disappointed. I was given some good advice from one of the mods here. He reminded me of the boat loads of information at your fingertips right here on the internet and he is right. If you want to find it you will.

Good luck.

all very true, from what I've seen here on this board inparticular,, these guys are really good about advice and any help needed. and as far as the internet goes for tips and courses,, your right,, I have watched so many tutorials and read so much both on here and in the books I have bought, that I'm slowly learning too,, at any rate,, good luck and keep us posted!!

Sue

I've been reading that alot about the outdated material. I'm no stranger to trolling the net and forums for information as I'm a do-it-your selfer auto guy so they are invaluable. I guess the appeal to a coarse is structured information and lessons. I have been looking into coarses on betterphoto.com as well. They seem pretty nice and more interactive. Thanks for the input guys!

Back in the day the real reason most of us photogs took classes was to use the facilities at the schools. I'm talking darkroom equipment here. This kinda dates me, huh?

The classes that I did take that I found helpful were the classes on retouching and airbrushing. So, maybe a good photoshop class?

The classes that I did take that I found helpful were the classes on retouching and airbrushing. So, maybe a good photoshop class?

oooOOOOoooo yes! that would be great to learn,, I've seen some work done by others that look like paintings!! gorgeous work, and all done in photoshop... so much to learn!!!!

Outdoor Photography has an article in the October addition. Keep in mind both schools that are written up also advertise in the magazine so I took the info with a grain of salt. I've thought about it myself, my problem is I'm a audio/visual learner which means I get the most out of having someone teach me hands on or in small groups.

I also have some great books that were recommended last year in Pop Photo. One on raw, one on exposure, and one that is set up like a course with lessons and projects.

Maybe there is an opportunity here for some of our experts to put something together here on FM. Some type of private board similar to the membership that HSO is selling right now. Just a thought for you guys.

ugh...I'm embarrassed to say i bought this while i was in college. The reason I say that is I worked as a photojournalist for 10 years and, looking back, I didn't improve or add any value to where I was at that time. Most, if not all, the basic information can be bought and self-taught through multitude of other books on the market. I was ahead of the basic information the program presented and it didn't provide any real depth in specific areas. I just can't recommend it.

You be just as well off buying a book on the basics and on the style of photography you'd like to shoot. Find a couple good photographers and review your work. I haven't posted much to this site but have read and seen a number of really good photographers here that don't seem shy about sharing information.

There certainly is value in photography coursework. The best lessons, however, the ones most remembered, are learned in the field. Hands-on learning in real situations is almost always the best learning.

That is, of course, coming from someone who teaches photography out in the field. And that being said, online coursework generally has the photographer out in the field applying the principles contained within the lesson plans, so if it's a good course in the first place and the student is motivated, you can learn a lot.

And I echo supercool's thoughts. There are lots of expert and willing hands on this board when it comes to all things photographic. And because we each have our unique perspectives (and because there usally are a whole bunch of different ways to achieve the same thing photographically), a person can get a lot of info on a topic and pick and choose which technique/approach appeals to them.