• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fall color question for those near metro area

I'm thinking of getting up early tomorrow(Sunday)morning and heading out somewhere is search of fall colors. I would like to stay within about 90 miles,less would be great,but don't know in which direction to head. A couple thoughts were the Mille Lacs area because it has two state parks or maybe heading to the river and heading south towards Red Wing. A friend mentioned the area around St Johns University can be pretty but I not sure if there is anything else in that area if St Johns is not what I'm looking for. I know it's going to be cold and the colors are going to be less than spectacular but I thought a day to myself with the camera sounded nice,and after taking my wife to a movie this afternoon and dinner later,my wife agrees. wink If anyone has any opinions,just throw them out there. Thanks

Red Wing is always a nice trip. I would suggest a trip to Red Wing then on your way back take 63 into Wisconsin the travle north on Highway 35 to Prescot then pop back into Mn and take Highway 10/St.croix trail north and stop in at Carpenter nature Center they have an awsome deck perched on a bluff facing north looking down at the St.Croix then after there meander over to Afton State park. Then to Afton if you like then further north to Stillwater and up to the Boomsite then to Taylor Falls. Thats a long Day you can cut it in half by either taking the Red Wing route and going home after Afton Highway 94 is a straight shot home fou you or do the Stillwater Taylor falls route instead of the Red Wing.

I'm faced with the same thing here,, the colours aren't quite prime yet,, and then to top things off we got a huge dump of snow!! but I'm thinking that snow on the ground, fall colours and open water make for a spectacular photographers dream!! I'm stuck at work today,, but last night I tried to get out to get some images, but the snow was coming down so heavy and there was no visibility,, hence no decent images. frown perhaps tonight after work I'll try again.

I'd love to see what you've gotten!!!

Sue