• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merlin after gulls!

MN Shutterbug

I went out yesterday to Lac Qui Parle, looking for raptors. A friend had seen dozens of hawks and about 15 bald eagles the day before. However, it's a lot like fishing. "You should have been here yesterday". I saw a lot of hawks in the morning, near Sioux Falls, SD, but they were scarce in this area. I counted 3 hawks and 1 eagle. I also brought my mother along to see some fall colors before the leaves came down.

While my mother was visiting a restroom, I walked over to a bridge and snapped a shot of a ring billed gull. A few seconds later, this cooper's Hawk came out of nowhere screaming, and dive bombed the 2 gulls. They disappeared fast and he landed a long ways off. Unfortunately, 400mm wasn't near enough but it was still a neat experience.

3997270626_1bc9f0a46b_o.jpg

3997710315_403fec7741_o.jpg

Thanks, Jay and Shawn.

You don't agree with Cooper's? The only way I can tell the difference between a Cooper's Hawk and a Sharp-shinned, is from their size. Now, a Merlin entered the mix. crazy They all look so much alike. However, I'm still thinking Cooper's, due to it's size. It was about the same size as the gulls and the Sharp-shinned and Merlin are much smaller. I dunno. confused

Oh, and that guardrail. I thought it was just striped very prettily. grin

Yeah, I agree with Shawn its a Merlin. The stripe over the eye is the best field mark in this picture. Coopers and Sharp-Shins don't have the eye stripe. The wing length is almost as long as the tail itself. Coopers and sharp shins tails are much longer.