• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Return of WCHA College Hockey

solbes

Although it was weird to be watching Wild hockey with the Twins still alive, college hockey is also right around the door. I'm starting to get pretty pumped, although I can't expect another finish like last year for UMD.

UMD lost it's star goalie to the NHL, but added some good recruits. Scoring should be pretty decent with Fontaine and Connoley's, but goaltending may be dicey.

St Cloud has top scorers returning and may have a good freshman goalie. They should have a good or great year.

Denver is stacked. Minnesota lost Stoa plus seniors, but should be pretty decent. North Dakota is always good, but doesn't have the stars of past seasons. I'm sure there will be new ones. Madison has goaltending issues, but should otherwise be a good team. I honestly don't know much about Minnesota St or Collorado College this year. Any predictions out there on how the season will go?

Denver will be tough. They got most of there starters back and with one of the leagues top goalies Marc Cheverie. This team is loaded with talent. Last year they had big expectation but choke at the end.

UND got the youngest team but still have some key players that returned. This team never starts well and always finishes strong. They always find away to get in the playoffs. They just need away to win the big one. I hope its this year.

Wisconson was pick in the most of the polls to finish third. I don't see them finishing any better than fifth.

I think Minnesota will be tough. They have lots of talent, they underacheived last year.

I pick SCSU to be a darkhorse. It wil be interesting to see how well there freshman goaltender Mike Lee does.

I don't see UMD making a run like they did last year.

CC will struggle.

Gophers "should" be decent, but who will step up and be the leaders? I think if NoDak can get solid goalie play then they will have a serious shot at winning it. I see the late season surge from them again this year - they've got some big boys that will wear on other teams. The biased opinion: 1) Gophers 2) Denver 3) NoDak.

The unbiased opinion:

1) NoDak - Top players again this year. Goalie is the unknown.

2) Denver - The favorite. But league parity drops them to #2.

3) MN - Talent is there, but who will be the team leaders?

4) SCSU - More potential in a year or two.

5) WI - Much smaller team this year.

I'm fired up too sobles! I like watching the NHL but I love college hockey!!!

It should be an interesting year, I agree Denver is looking very good, after that its really hard to tell, usually there are surprises every year.

I am hoping my gophs can pull out of this two year slump they are in, the talent is there but we need to see some effort and a little grit wouldn't hurt either. I also like to pull for other MN schools, especially against WI & ND.

It's funny how schools like UMD, SCSU, and MNSU are good every 3 or 4 years. Unfortunately I think the cycle will pass UMD by this year, mainly because of a new goalie. I agree about Hjelle, I've heard good things about him. The teams success this year really hinges on his play, which can be a lot of pressure.

Gophers really are due for a dominating type year. It's one of the most experienced Gopher teams in recent history. Kangas needs to have a year like he did 2 years ago. Schroeder is an awesome player. Flynn, Lucia, and Baribal ought to be lighting the lamp plenty this year.

Gophers really are due for a dominating type year. It's one of the most experienced Gopher teams in recent history. Kangas needs to have a year like he did 2 years ago. Schroeder is an awesome player. Flynn, Lucia, and Baribal ought to be lighting the lamp plenty this year.

Schroeder will be good no matter what, we need some serious scoring from Barribal and Hoeffel and probably 2-3 others guys need to step up but I have no idea who those guys are. I agree Kangas and the D need to be better this year, I was also glad to hear Lucia say we will see more of Patterson in goal. Fairchild and Ness should rack up some points on the power play.