• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

popping sound in rear end

eyemaster

I have an arctic cat 400 and used it to pull some heavy logs out of a revene. It started popping or clicking when i got on bigger logs. I am assuming the gears in the rear end have rounded off.

how hard is it to replace the gears in the rear end on one of these?

If it's indeed the rear diff, you'll more than likely end up replacing the entire rear diff, including the case. Some mfgr's may only sell them as a complete unit.

What year machine is this? SRA or IRS?

Could be axle U joints.

I am assuming it is the rear end because it pops when I put a load on it and it doesn't move when I put a heavy load on it. If I take the load off ie unhook the trailer it moves fine and there is no popping.

I had a buddy that had a Cat, and when he hit it hard it would do a lot of back firing, do you think maybe it's just back firing under load but it sounds like the rearend? Have you tried it in 4 wheel drive? Does it do it then?

I looked at a microfiche of the '98 AC 400 4X4 rear end. It's a SRA (Solid Rear Axle). No U-joints on the axle.

The spline on the axle might also be worn and need to be replaced.

One thing you could do is to drain the rear diff. gear oil through a paper filter and look for large metal fragments to see if you possibly chipped a tooth (gear) or two.

Lep, that is good advise and a easy way to check for metal chips. The other thing that maybe happening since you said it would not move under heavy load, but would once you unloaded the weight. Is to check your drive belt, if it is slipping under load, the ridges on the belt may sound like clicking, which then may go away once it can move under it's own weight load? Good luck. Let us know when you find out what it is!