• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prop Question

HugoBox

I'm trying to help my father-in-law pick a stainless prop for his rig. Its a 2008 Lund Pro Guide 1725 with a 2008 Yamaha 4-stroke 70 HP tiller. Any suggestions would be appreciated - looking for overall performance, hole shot and handling, not just top end.

thanks

the smaller the number(pitch) the better holeshot, the bigger the number the greater the speed

75hp mariner

the 17 pitch jumps to plane but lacks top end >5000 rpm

the 19 pitch has good overall speed and handling 34-36 mph 5000rpm

the 21*t has okay holeshot but increses speed by a couple MPH 5050-5150 rpm

hope this helps DZ

Thanks for the help fellas - kinda interesting that the Yammy site gives a suggestion. We test drove no less than 10 props on our rig before we found the right one for overall performance.

I'm trying to convince my bro that we even need a high performance prop on our little duck boat!! smile

Yes, Yammie might have suggestion, but until you test them out you will not know for sure. Every boat is slightly different. Mercury has that guide too, and I think they suggest a Laser on our boat if you follow it, hahaha! Worst prop ever on our boat.

Does Bob even have a tach on that boat? Get the prop numbers he has, with rpm at WOT and go from there. Don't let him just buy one based on what a Yammie site recommends. Why does he want SS out there? He rarely gets on plane does he? smile

And we don't need SS on our duck boat... hmmmmm... we won't ding anything on my lake in the summer, that is for sure wink