• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coyotes / Deer

mnhunter79

Since Aug. 1st til about a week ago i have been getting quite a few pics on the trail cam of doe's and bucks on a regular basis. Since then, in the last week and a half or so i got a pic of a coyote and 1 or 2 deer. Last sun. morning i seen one coyote run across the road in front of me (in the headlights). Tonight, i got out of the stand after seeing nothing. Once out of the stand i took maybe 10 steps and an adult coyote howled twice and then the whole pack started howling about 300 yrds away from my stand.(man they're loud. sounded pretty cool bat at the same time, made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up smile There are prob 4-5 coyotes back there.

So, my question is, did the coyotes push the deer out of that area? (the area consists of a creek with woods along it, beans, small corn plot, and a CRP field, and a co. ditch.) Its just weird going from a lot of deer pics to nothing. And every time i checked the camera i sprayed down with scent killer.

Tommorrow after deer hunting the other property, im gonna go for a walk with the gun and possbly get one of those coyotes. And hopefully they dont return for a while. (they probably will though.)

Well- funny you should mention this. Tonight I sat in a stand, and the last week or so I have had a few coyote pics to. Well about 630 I see a coyote come from under one of my stands. Coming my way. Well it dissappears. LIttle bit later have 3 does come out at 25yds. Little later I see 5 more does and fawns. Then about 730 out pops a coyote at 30 yds. I put the hammer down on him, he drops and starts yelping, out pops another one, and I give him one two. On the way to the truck another one starts to bark and howl at me. Going to look for them in the daylight.

So yes they move the deer around a little, but they don't push they out. I have never saw a coyote chase a deer in my area, but my buddys have seen it several times, but they hunt south of me.

Also, the more you are in and out checking your camera the less pictures you will get. I don't care what people say, deer know you are there no matter what. Put it near a stand and only check it when you are in there hunting. That way you are not disturbing things more than once.

The best time to get one is the first night you sit on a stand.

It affects them or at least it did around me. Last year the coyotes started showing up and deer presence in the fields and on my camera went down to almost non-existant. Even the bucks stopped coming around. I went from getting 50+ pics a week and 5 different larger bucks on my camera to maybe 6 pics of a doe or fawn. I can hear them every night making all kinds of noise and are still around this year but we've taken care of a couple of them. Like others said I don't think the deer were pushed far but definitly from the immediate area.