• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with Wire Leaders

MurkyWaters

Today I was fishing with a popper and was using a leader. I set the hook into a small bass and the line went limp. I got the line back to the boat and the clip at the end of the leader had come undone and when I set the hook, it pulled the clip straight (so I lost the bait...and the fish). This has happened to me before while casting crank baits. I'm beginning to think that leaders lose me more baits than they save! P.S. For the next 15 minutes, the bass proceeded to jump out of the water to shake the popper free and I could hear the rattles every time it did. It was taunting me!

Tell me that this has happened to others out there...What is the deal? Am I buying junk leaders? What leaders do you use for casting? Do they have special clips? Help please...I'm trying to get into cranking.

I've had that happen a few times before years ago from the snap weakening quickly from changing lures. The cross-locs are a good upgrade as well as the stay-loc which I prefer the best. These can be threaded onto your existing leader if the wire is still good. I personally went to mostly flouro leaders with stay-loc snaps. Saved me money in the long run with bad snaps and wire kinks.

Good luck..