• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Camera

Flipped around a couple of camera bodies this week and picked up a 5D for studio and outdoors. Arrived this afternoon and since I intend to shoot a wedding tomorrow with it, figured I'd better take a couple of shots. Only had a few minutes, so went back to the wife's flower garden to attack the bees again. I'm pretty happy with it so far:

B-BEE-1.jpg

B-Bee-2.jpg

B-Bee-3.jpg

Nice stuff, buddy. Wait till you see those files at iso3200. That's one place (among many) where the 5D really shines! smile

I'm wondering how they compare with iso3200 on the 1D mk3. I bet they are pretty close. In fact, I should get a DVD of those hockey tourney iso3200 shots I did with you last spring so I can compare directly with the 5D 3200 stuff I've got.

You shooting indoors our outdoors tomorrow? Outdoors for me along the shores of Burntside Lake. Going to be a beautiful day for a wedding.

Quote:
yesterday

No, today! smile I'll have two other bodies along and the great thing about digital is that I'll be able to keep checking along the way if things aren't lookin' good I'll have plenty of backup with cameras I've had a lot of experience with.

Plus, there will be no surprises with the 5D for Ken, considering all the other Canon bodies he's owned or shot with. The controls on the 5D are the same, essentially, as those on the 10D/20D/30D.

And it's fun to revel in the full-frame magic. Let the true wide angle be celebrated! But, uh, not with the bride's face. gringrin

Looking good Ken! I shot a 300 kid T&I with a 5D last week and noticed a magenta shift with every shot. I compared them to the 50D and Mark IIN and it was noticable. Interested to hear if you see the same with yours.

Dan, does one get the magenta shift shooting RAW or JPEG, or both? Can you elaborate? I'd imagine it's easily fixed in PS, but I haven't noticed the phenomenon when I've shot the 5D, and since I'm planning to pick one up pretty soon, I'd like to learn what this shift involves. A quick Google search also turned up some info on magenta shift in the 1D Mk2, which I also own.

Steve, that shoot was all in JPEG with faithful settings. I match all my cameras to the same settings so its easy to see some of the comparisons in files between them. I've shot some RAW as well and noticed the thing. You are right it is simple to correct in post but I prefer to keep that to a minimum with the high volumes I shoot. In this case I had three cameras going and it is a pain to match them so that all shots look the same.

Ken I don't own a Mark III just the lowly old reliable Mark IIN. Interesting enough I was in with my camera guy pre-ordering a 7D and the discussion came up about the announcement of the Mark IV or whatever it will be called. He thinks that announcement will come in October, I agree. He seems to think there will be no more Ds versions of the 1D cameras. If that is true the price on those cameras will be a bit of a stretch if they combine the features of both! I do hope that is not true.

I think Canon will get the Mark IV out in time for the winter Olympics so I do expect a fall release. Now would I buy one? It is one thing to spend $1800 on a camera and be a test subject and go through some tweaking of the camera. It is another thing to spend $5000 on up and end up with it going back and forth to Canon to fix issues. So I will likely spend the money on the 7D but I would not spend a dime on a Mark IV until it has been out 6 months to a year and it will have had some good testing done on it.

I can't believe Canon would mess up either the 7D or the Mark IV after the Mark III debacle...but...Just my opinion of course, but I'm sticking with it until Canon convinces me otherwise.

Dan,

You're absolutely right. I'm probably involved with some wishful thinking here, but with retiring in less than a year, I'd like to get my camera bodies established while I can still use all my business capitol towards equipment. We'll see what washes out.