• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Destructive zebra mussels found in Red River Basin for first time

wayne123

Bad News -

The fast-growing mussel can destroy ecosystems and clog machinery and engines.

Associated Press

Last update: September 18, 2009 - 7:49 AM

FARGO, N.D. - Zebra mussels have invaded the Red River Basin.

North Dakota Game and Fish Department biologist Doug Leier says the mussels have been found in Pelican Lake in northwestern Minnesota's Otter Tail County. He says it's the first time the invasive species has been discovered in the Red River Basin watershed.

The fast-growing mussel can destroy ecosystems and clog machinery and engines. Leier says the mussels were first found in Minnesota in 1989, in the Duluth area, and have been moving west since.

Source =

http://www.startribune.com/local/59725617.html

They cleaned up the lake in Michigan my grandparents have a house on. The water is so crystal clear, it has started affecting natural selection, the fish are an absolutely different color than they should be, everything from perch to bass to northern pike have gradually become paler and paler in the past 15 years. There is no way you could use the term "green" for a largemouth bass on that lake.

So is there any way to stop or kill these things? What can we do to stop the spread? If they catch someone with them on their boat what is the fine? This is a huge problem and the Dnr should be doing more to stop the spread and educate people all boaters or anyone using a lake the negative impact these things have.

Tough for the DNR to do anything really. 100% of the time people don't know they're transporting zebes. Just have to be careful and cautious when loading your boat for the day. I happen to believe birds have transported just as many zebes (if not more) than people have, and if that's the case than nothing can be done frown

Tough for the DNR to do anything really. 100% of the time people don't know they're transporting zebes. Just have to be careful and cautious when loading your boat for the day. I happen to believe birds have transported just as many zebes (if not more) than people have, and if that's the case than nothing can be done frown

Are you suggesting zebra muscles migrate? smile

Your post made me think of this:

I am starting to think if you put your boat in an infected lake it should be quarantined for some time.

I also wonder if we would be better off killing the whole infected lake and starting over.

I have no knowledge that this would help or how to enforce it but something drastic needs to be done.