• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

92 Johnson 65hp really tough to start

FishNovice101

As the gals can attest to last weekend on Leech, I was really angry at the Johnson. It seems to be real cold-blooded. But in 80 degree weather, after fishing on the lake a few hours, should I have to choke it to start it? I think not! mad

Where is a good place, either in the Metro or close to Walker, to have this thing tuned up before spring?

The main problem is that I crank and crank and crank and then it fires. Any suggestions?

FishNovice101, start with the easy things first. Condition of primer bulb and fuel line.

Are you first pumping up the primer bulb on cold starts?

When you start after the engine has been warmed up, have you tried the primer bulb and if so was it hard, if you continued to squeeze but stayed soft, could you hear or feel fuel as you pumped?

If the bulb and fuel line checks out then go on to the fuel filter and all the fuel line connections under the engine cover.

It'll be hard to trace them all down but you must do that. Don't overlook the impulse hose that will connect to the crankcase and then to the fuel pump.

Next step is to have the carbs cleaned and rebuilt.

I had similar problem why my "87" 70 Evinrude. It would start fine cold or if I didn't let it sit for more than a half hour, but after that crank and crank before it would finally go. The float seats were bad in 2 of the carbs and the bowls would drain back down into the cylinders and flood those two. Cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and it runs and starts great under all circumstances.

Will it fire up right away if you choke it?

I think it was right around 92 when they (OMC) finaly made the low speed mixture adjustable. It was a mid production change so depending on whether yours is adjustable, its possible simply richening the idle mixture would help. Also, when was the last time the plugs were changed? Have you pulled them out and looked for fouling?

I would go through the steps Frank outlined to eliminate a fuel delivery issue, then as he mentioned, it may be time for the carbs to be cleaned.

I had similar problems with my 87 "70" hp Johnson.

I didn't see any visable fuel leaks, but replaced the fuel hose and primer bulb anyway. Only a couple of bucks. The spark plugs didn't look that bad, but I replaced them anyway. Once again, only a couple of bucks. This is a VRO and I disconnected the oil line and pre-mix and switched to Amsoil.

No more cold start problems. I can't say for sure which thing I did was "The fix" or if it was a combo of everything, but the motor fires right up now, cold or warm.