• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck is loaded...

FishingWebGuy

I drove by and glassed over the area I'll be sitting tomorrow morning. There is a worn trail - where a barb-wire fence is down - between Rush River and an alfalfa field. The river is lined with white oaks which are dropping acorns like crazy right now.

There should be 5mph SSE winds tomorrow and 58-60* at first shooting light. I'll be on the NW side of the worn trail 10 yds away. Ready to ambush.

I am going into this counting on getting skunked and plan on just enjoying the country side as it wakes up and goes to sleep. I'm gonna shoot for sitting 3-4 hours dawn and dusk.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone on here. I know I have a lot to learn but feel I will have some idea of what I am doing tomorrow. Getting into this stuff can be overwhelming and advice from people like you sure helps.

Happy hunting.

FWG

Any luck?

Nope, none this weekend. But there are definitely a lot of deer in the area. The trails are wide and worn to dirt in many parts, lotsa tracks and bedding areas also. Wind wasn't as strong as I had hoped for and was non-existent at times so I probably got busted or just picked the wrong time. I'll hit that spot again in a couple of weeks and try an get over 20' up in a tree to eliminate more scent. I'm gonna try an get another camera in the budget also to put out there. It's a great spot for a blind and I would love to bring my 6-year-old out there next month if I can find a pattern in their movements.

I did learn some things though...

1. An empty growling stomach sounds really loud in dead silence.

2. It sure is fun never knowing when something is going to or what is going to pop out in front of you.

Now we are getting ready to head up to Togo Town (that's what my 6-year-old calls it) on Friday. That reminds me. Flowers for the wife this week to keep her in a good mood smile

FWG you said Togo Town do you mean Togo Mn if so we have land up there too just off of Hwy 65

Yup, Togo, MN. We don't own land tho so we are stuck hunting the state land. I'm hoping archery season isn't too busy up there.

We love Togo Town smile Someday we'll have land up there.

FWG...you will find thousands of unoccupied acres to hunt with your bow up that way...I grouse hunt up that way sometimes and rarely run into overcrowding...Hard to pattern those big woods deer though..GOOD LUCK!

Thanks Uplander. That's what we are hoping for with the 4 hour drive. The area we go to has about a thousand acres of state and county land with only 1 dead end low maintenance road accessing it.

For me the best part is a weekend without cell service smile

FWG I wonder if you hunt the state land that borders are land we have 40 acres in the middle of all the public land. Yes Harvey Lee there is a pub there the JUnction Bar but I'm pretty sure you probably have been there before very good chance with my dad. There also is the Viking down the road too and a bunch of other ones (not that I've been there before though. My uncle does a lot of fishing up there he just told me that Labor day weekend they caught 9 northerns over 30 inches.

FWG I wonder if you hunt the state land that borders are land we have 40 acres in the middle of all the public land.

It could be but we aren't right on 65 though. There are a handful of private 40s and 80s in the 8,000 acres around us and about 2,500 of timber land.

Send me an email and I'll tell you exactly where we are smile marc at ds6.net