• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ground Blind vs. Portable Stand

FishingwithJake

Alright, I know it's getting a little too close to the bow season to start bow hunting but my cousin has offered to let me use his old bow this year and this will be my first year bow hunting. He's bringing it over tonight so I'll have this weekend and some nights next week to practice shooting with it. I really hope the bow "fits" me enough so I can give it a shot this year. If all things go well, I'll probably purchase a fairly new bow this winter/spring.

Anyway, our family has plenty of private land which is littered with permanent deer stands. My question for all you is, should I try my chances using the permanent stands this bow season or should I go out and purchase something portable? If so, should I purchase a portable stand or a ground blind? I've been reading a lot of articles about ground blinds and if I decided to purchase one, could also use it during turkey season. What are your thoughts?

I would not buy anything until you are certain you will like hunting with a bow. It consumes a lot of time to become proficient as well as have good success in a stand. Id stick with the stands already built. Pick the one with the best sign and see what happens. Once the season is near closing or has closed im sure you can find a better price for ground blinds if you so choose. That is my 2 cents

I would get a ground blind or a climber so you can be moble and try a variety of loations. The problem with permanent stands used for rifle hunting is they are generally in a good area but not neccessarily right on top of a prime deer trail. You will need to get close to those deer and its alwasy nice to be moble so you can hunt many differnt locations.

I would also get out and shoot a lot, at least once a day if possible. You might also want to limit yourself to 30 or maybe even 20 yards or less this season. Remember that shooting a live animal is much mich different then shooting a target. Good luck.

Portable stands are nice and so are ground blinds. each have their time and place. if you have straight trees portable stands are best. If you hunt a place like mine not a straight tree to save your life and down in a river bottom ground blinds are a must. Keep bugs off of you a blind is best.

Practice, practice, practice and then go for it. Bow hunting is awesome...and you will be hooked once you have a close encounter with a deer. It's a different ball game from gun hunting that's for sure. If the properties you are hunting are conducive to climber stands (straight trees with few limbs to trim) I would suggest buying one of those instead of a hang on or ground blind. If you are fairly confident you are going to like bow hunting then I would suggest getting a Summit Viper SS climber right off the bat...they cost some money but it is money well spent and the stand will last many years. They are easy to use, light, and very comfortable to sit in. You will be very comfortable, and have the ability to hunt multiple locations very easily. Keep us posted of how your season goes! Good luck.

Jake, as stated before both are nice in their own right. I have a ground blind that I put out for my dad as he can't climb into a pertable. The only thing I would suggest is putting it out early( I normally put it out 3 weeks in advance) and brush it in. This way the deer get used to it and won't spoke as easily . The nice thing about portables is getting up off the ground, you can see better, further, plus it get's any scent you might have on you up higher to hopefully get them in closer.

Yes you can use it for Turkey Hunting, that's what I originaly bought mine for. It allows you to be sitting up off of the ground, and keeps you out of the rain if it happens to.The other nice thing is , it allows you to get away with a little more movement.

Thanks for the input guys! After a weekend of practicing I already know I'm going to really enjoy bow hunting. Therefore, making the right purchases early is going to be key. I'm going to utilize the permanent stands for the first weekend and do a little scouting. I'll figure out what areas look good and my best options (i.e. climber stand vs. groundblind) for hunting these areas if a permanent stand isn't available. Hopefully stores will start having sales on their stands and groundblinds as the season progresses so I have money at the end of the season or early Spring to buy a new bow.

Good luck to all of you!

If you can wait till after the season and after christmas bows and accessories get cheap. Last year I bought 3 tree stands and ladder sticks from Menards 30 bucks a stand 20 bucks a ladder stick set. I can't complain. Bows will also drop big time once christmas is done cause they need to clear their inventory. I bought my bow 2 years ago mid Jan and wow I saved like 400 bucks on it. Just shop around.

Ya I forgot about that key part. I tried mine last year putting it out the night before...WOW did I get busted! I have had mine out already 3 weeks and that's only cause I just got access to that property. Try to brush it in the best you can with branches from shooting lanes and small trees you prune pile them up and let them start drying down. Then I come through later with a scissor and prune out the windows.

Like some have said I'd set the permanents that look good & are closest to good trails. That's how we got started & then built more permanents for bow hunting & added portables as time & experience allowed. If you pattern deer coming out at basically the same time a couple of times, but they're not close enough, find a dead fall to hide behind or put a bucket behind a big oak tree. You'll learn what you can get away with & you don't have to spend tons of time & money on stands. Now having said that I'm a stand junky. I've probably got more permanent bow stands & just as many portables as at least 90% of the guys on here, but you don't need that to get started.