• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opening bait sites

Boar

I am heading up to check my baits today. They have been sitting since Saturday, so hopefully all is good. On my way into work this morning, a 5 gallon bucket of bacon oil opened up and spilled in the back of my truck. It made a heck of a mess. Who knows, maybe a bear will be sitting in the back of my truck when I come out of the woods. smile

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the regs clearly state in the handbook that nothing readly biodegradeble at a bait site. Are you hunting state land? Youd be suprised if you have a good crib built with straight logs on top, an with the trees canopy how well it'll stay dry. Five inches of rain an my douhgnuts are still pretty good. I like to dig a good depression in the ground an then a smaller depression inside of that then layer branches an limbs inside then the bait, now the rain has a place to pool away from an below the bait, then cover up the depression with large staight logs. it would take an exorbant amount of rain to soggify the goodies. Boar

I checked the baits yesterday with no hits. I am not worried yet, but it is a bit discouraging. All this rain is not helping the situation any. I am going up again on Sunday. If there are still no hits, I will have to come up with a plan. How is everyone elses baits doing out there?

It is looking pretty slow for me too. One hit out of four. I have never gone this long without a hit, but the rain has been bad. When I went in to check the baits and rebait I could not even smell them, of course it was raining when I did it.

Looking forward to some dry weather and try to get that smell going.

yea it a slow go right now, rain has past now an should be staying nice for awhile, an that should get things going, the berries are starting to dissapear, but know I fear acorns, any Idea if it's been a good acorn crop? Heading out in the mourning, havent been out since tues. Seriously poundering going north next year, I'll settle for playing bear chess for a week or so rather than two months, wife says, PLEASE! Boar

I don't know if the acorn crop has been a good one either. The chokecherries are a bumper crop this year, wild raspberries have been about average, wild plums are below average.

I can't wait to get home and get some bait out, the wife thinks she saw some bear pooop out by the end of the garden. Hearing that boosted my spirits.

Just got back from checking my baits and 2 of 4 were hit again. Big claw marks on the logs which gets your blood going. Hopefully we can keep the bear coming in till opener. Some berries I see are starting to dry up while others are just starting to ripen.

Checked baits this mourning, I have one hit out of three, so thats a good thing, is'nt a big bear, looks like he just left momma this spring or last, he sure looks delicious, my bear dont have to be huge to shoot, I'm primarily after freezer meat as long as it's not a cub with mom I'll eat it. So things are looking up. Boar

Boar,

I'm in TRF and have no acorns in any of my oak trees. Just started baiting today and saw none on the areas I hunt either. One bait site has a TON of raspberries around it so it will be interesting to see what happens with that one.

My hunting partner went up today and reported three of four now hit and mine was completely cleaned out. I am relieved to see that things are picking up for us. The one problem bait used to be our best but they did a lot of logging near that bait and I think we might have to abandon that one for this year. Nine more days and play time starts.

I am 0 for 2. The one site I have there are def. some bear in the area though. The one bait is on one of two ridges half way between a beaver pond and a berry patch that is upward of 3 plus acres. There is acorns and some hazzel nuts on the ground too. I think it might be slow till the berrys and nuts clear out