• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trout regs.

are you fed up with the new proposed trout regulations stop by the h.o.f. south store and signe the putition to the d n r.

mpfish

Here's a link to the regs. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/news/releases/index.html?id=1072202135

Lets keep in mind that the new regs only effect 20% of the streams in S.E. Minnesota.

While I don't agree with the all of it, for example; catch and release only on the Middle Branch of Whitewater and South Branch of the Root. Families staying in the two state parks on those river should be able to harvest trout from that section of river.

Over all I think it's a step in the right direction.

------------------
"Study to be quiet"

[This message has been edited by Renneberg (edited 04-13-2004).]

Thanx Renneberg, I like the purposed changes. You brought up a good point that it only affects some 137 miles of water out of 680 or something so everybody should be able to find a place they enjoy. At least it is worth the study to find out the affects.

PRetty interesting proposals to say the least. Not sure exactly how I feel about them.

I Have fished a majority of those streams and if the DNR believes this will impact in a positive manner.........For the most, I need to support their decision not with out reservation and hesitation.

Miles of water might not look like much, but that is a very small picture in this management window.

IT's a start. My mine concern with ANY new proposals is awareness. I come across many many fisherman each year who are oblivious to regulations. Regulations as simple as limit and standard size restrictions.

We that know about these changes need to spread the word, or else it WILL fail.

All who fish need to abide by these restrictions.

See you at Trout Day fellas.

Jim W

Mpfish-
What part of the new regulations are you fed up with? Like Renneberg and Jim, I think the new regulations are a step in the right direction. They are an attempt to improve the quality of fish and fisheries in SE MN. Dorothy, this isn't Kansas anymore. Fishing pressure on trout streams gets higher every year, and will continue. So restrictions should change accordingly. I rarely keep trout, so I support more restrictions. Mpfish, I'm curious... what part of the new regs is the petition (note the spelling) against? I see that the DNR had numerous public meetings before they created the proposed regs. Mpfish, did you or any of the "petitioners" voice your concerns at these meetings?

One last thing. Yes, awareness is key. But enforcement of these new regulations is important, also. Why do Minnesotans have such a hard time with changing regulations? Anyone ever see the regulations in Wisconsin? They change every year! As a responsible fisher, we need to know the regulations where we're fishing.

These new regulations are proposed for the 2005 fishing season so they are not currently in effect. I believe the catch and release section on the middle branch of white water, which is what the state park is on, would start at the upstream boundary of the park so the state park itself would not be catch and release.
I personally am looking forward to seeing what the new regulations can accomplish. There are still plenty of trout in our SE MN streams, but because of the increasing pressure it seems like it is getting harder and harder to catch trout over 16 inches. I think these regulations will help and it still allows people to keep a few fish for the table.

I wish they would impose these type of regulations on the few streams by me in Central MN. The only trout I keep are ones from Put'N Take Lakes. And I've seen people, which any trout they catch at the river goes into the creel/bucket from a 6" brookie to a 17" Brown.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z