• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Report

Renneberg

With the temps in the mid 70's I decided to get sum mid-summer trout fishing in, so I went over to my favorite trout stream Friday morning.

I started off with a orange #7 rapala. I caught several small browns but seen several browns in the teens just follow my lure. I quickly started changing colors and found that a yellow #7 was what they liked.

Thanks to the super clear water I had a great time watching several browns in the upper teens follow my lure. Some I caught but most I didn't. Many of which came out of very shallow water. Some places were so shallow I'd have to say most anglers would of never fished it thinging there's no way there's a brown over 10 inches sitting in there.
I know I was even suprised to see a brown in the mid-teens come out one such place.

The places I had this happen were shallow(about knee deep) flats located up or downstream of a deeper flat. These shallow flats had to have some kind of wood laying in the water or under cut bank.
The best kind of wood was a tree with leaves still on it that had just fallin do to floods or growth by the stream bank like grass or small bushes that were laying in the water.

By the end of the day I had caught a 17 inch, 18 inch and one in the the 20's that got away before I could measure her.

Not a bad day.

Anyone else been out lately?

------------------
"Study to be quite"

Renneberg,

I was wondering where you've been? Thanks for the report. WHat part of the state were you fishing?

"Smells": not much beats top-water smallie fishing! Care to share more?

Keep the rods bendin'!!!
Jim W

I FOUND A POOL ON MY FAVORITE RIVER THAT THE TROUT STACKED UP IN AFTER A GOOD RAIN AND IN A THREE DAY SPAN I CAUGHT A 26.5", 23.5", 19.5" ,19", 17.5" BROWN TROUT AND A COUPLE SMALL CRAPPIES, ALL ON FLIES, LEECH PATTERNS AND MINNOWS. ALSO CAUGHT ONE WITH MY 4YR OLD DAUGHTER ON BAIT THAT WAS 17" AND LOST ANOTHER ABOUT THE SAME.
WENT AGAIN ABOUT 2 DAYS LATER CAUGHT NOTHING RIVER WENT DOWN AND GOT CLEAR FISH MUST HAVE SPREAD OUT. RELEASED ALL FISH.

SMELLS IF YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT SMALLMOUTH BASS FISHING GO TO THE FORUM WITH BASS IN THE TITLE AND MAYBE THERE YOU'LL FIND MORE THAN ONE PERSON THAT GIVE'S A **** ABOUT SMALLMOUTHS ON THE TROUT FORUM.

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

Jim, I was across the border. I fished a well knowen stream but didn't see another angler the entire day!

I went back last night to try some night fishing but the bugs were just to much for me. I only fished for about 2 hours. I got a few bites but didn't catch anything.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

tstephens, let's stick to the main objective of this forum "tips and tactics" , i will call fishnforfun if i need a good story about the 4 year old "tiger woods" of angling.. thank you

[This message has been edited by smellzalilfishee (edited 07-15-2003).]

[This message has been edited by smellzalilfishee (edited 07-15-2003).]

SMELLS YOU MUST NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN, DO YOU STILL LIVE WITH YOUR MOTHER?
NO WONDER YOU FISH SO MUCH YOU CAN'T STAND TO CLEAN HER TOE NAILS EVERY OTHER DAY.
YOU WANT A TIP. THIS IS THE BEST TIP I CAN GIVE EVERYONE.
FISH MORE OFTEN, FOR YOU WILL SEE. HEAR AND GAIN MORE KNOWLEDGE EVERYTIME YOU GO.
MOST OF ALL KEEP YOUR LURE IN THE WATER AT LEAST 99% OF THE TIME YOUR FISHING, HOW CAN ONE CATCH A FISH IF ONE IS CONSTANTLY CASTING OR CHECKING ONE'S LURE (MORE TIME IN THE WATER THE MORE CHANCES OF CATCHING FISH)
PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE.

DO YOU THINK THAT WILL WORK SMELLS?

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

Well as for the Colorado thing, being a long time resident of the state, the trout are anything but tiny. World class rivers are sprinkled all over the state, the trout grow large, especially in tailwater areas where Mysis shrimp are pumped out of the resevoirs. The Taylor river is a perfect example, 2 20 pound rainbows have been recorded there. I ask is that a small trout??? If anybody has an itch for some rocky mountain fishing let me know. I am familiar with MT, UT, WY, and CO rivers. As for the kids and women, well i will stay clear of that one..

I'll try and get this topic back on track with an actual fishing report. Although, the bantering has made for some very comical reading.
I went down to the Vermillion on Saturday. Found the stream level was absolutly perfect. On the first cast I lost my favorite rap (#11 brown trout color) to a fish I couldn't see. I suspect it was a pike as it was cleanly bitten off. After about 4 hours of fishing in jungle weeds, I caught 2 browns that were both 20 inches and a couple of smaller ones. TSTEPHENS, I also had one on that was close to the size of the one I sent you a picture of earlier. It was a monster.
I caught a largemouth bass for the first time on this river. How common are these fish (LM bass) in this river?

CAB I'VE SEEN A COUPLE SMALLMOUTH BASS CAUGHT, BUT NO LARGEMOUTH. THE NORTHERN HAVE BEEN BITTING, MY BROTHER CAUGHT A 33" NORTHERN A WEEK AGO AND SAID HE LOST ANOTHER ABOUT THE SAME SIZE.

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

CAB,

Where on the Vermillion were you fishing? Is it at the park?
I've never been to the Vermillion and if/whenever I can get myself away from the hot whitebass bite at Hudson, I will make a trip down. Maybe two weeks from now, maybe.

BassHunter,
I have not had much luck catching anything in the park at Farmington. I've heard of people catching lots of trout there but not sure of the size. I tend to fish the areas outside of town were the pressure is considerably less. One area that you might want to consider is upstream from the park. I have parked behind the fire department and fished upstream from there. Not a lot of trout there but there are some very nice fish (20+) in these waters. The other option would be to get to know some of the farmers down stream from Farmington that live along the Vermillion road. Almost all of the farmers I have talked to have been very gracious. - CAB

CAB,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take time one of these hot whitebass biting days and head out to Vermillion for some C&R trouting.