• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gulp 3" minnows

shiltsy

I was out last Friday evening.... beautiful night, but the bite was a bit slow. I had only caught one largemouth on a jig until I changed it up and TX rigged a 3" gulp minnow. It's a real pain to rig (at least on the hooks that I tried), but it was weedless and I caught a two pounder on my first cast. Caught a few more right after including a 13" crappie and had a ton of bass come out of the weeds to take a closer look.

So, between this and other experiences, it is clear that the Gulp minnows in the tub of horrible-smelling-funk WILL CATCH FISH. I guess my only question is how to rig these things more effectively. A jig head works good, but it's not weedless. When I rig with larger hooks that I'd normally use for Texas rigged worms, it's tough to rig and the action is all over the place.

If you have any ideas, let me know.

Funny you should say that about the minnows. Not too long ago, my wife had a great day drop shotting a gulp leech.

Spring2009015.jpg

Spring2009017.jpg

I got the tub on a promotional deal and have been using it to store my jig trailers and swimbaits while not in use.

Good feedback guys - I dedicated my outing yesterday to learning the drop shot. It definitely paid off and is a great presentation for the Gulp minnows.

It's not weedless, but in the afternoon I fished the docks pretty hard with a jighead and smaller Gulp minnow. Caught a few nice largemouth and some plump sunnies. When I switched to the larger Gulp minnow when fishing the docks, they stopped biting....

$20 for a small tub of these things is definitely expensive. I wonder how much of the success is due to the action and how much is the taste/smell... I might shop around to see if I can find an imitation that's cheaper.