• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout

Rick

Renneberg,

My in-laws live up on the range and I'm up there a lot in the summer. I've always wanted to fish some of the pits, but I have no idea where to start. Can you give me a few pointers. They live in Hibbing.

thanks
tjhunter

I have the same size boat and motor as you do Remington but I have never taken it up to Ely. I'm dying to take it up there because there are so many great lakes where a boat any bigger would be to big. I've always done great in Miners lake just north of Ely. Tofte, Hanson, Glacial ponds one and two have all been great lakes to fish.

Tjhunter I've never fished around Hibbing.
One of the first things I learned about trout fishing in pits is that if there are trees sticking out of the water, to fish around them. Trout seem to use them like bass do a weed line. Trolling #7 raps. close to them has worked well for myself and others and I've heard that this works well all summer. You can catch trout around the trees in the winter too.
Early and late in the season the trout swim feet from shore and are easy to catch. I love to use jigs that I would use for crappies. White, brown and purple have worked best for me. Just throw them close to shore and slowly real them in, if nothing let them sink longer then start realing it in. Nightcrawlers under a bobber works great to but you tend to hook them deep no matter how fast you set the hook. Vertical jigging off of a dock or boat works great to. The key to catching them this way is to keep trying different deeps until you catch fish. If you fish this way hold on to the rod, because they come close to taking it out of my hands many times. Rainbows and Brookies are most active and are close to the surface early and late in the day. I've caught big rainbows in total darkness with about 8 feet of line out. As the sun comes up in the morning the trout go down, then when it goes down they come up. Keep a eye out for fish just a few feet under the surface of the water.

Hope this helps. If you need more help just ask.

Renneberg,

Thanks for all of the advice. It'll definitely come in handy.

Do you have any lakes you would recommend -Either around the Twin Cities, or up north?

Thanks again
tjhunter

Around the Twin cities I'd have to say Christmas lake is one of the best, if not the best trout lake in the metro. Its located just south of Minnetonka off of hwy 7. The rainbows in there run from 10 inches to 14 lbs or better. I still have yet to catch a rainbow under 22 inches. I've only caught three trout out of there in one year but the smallest one was 22 inches and the other two were 28 inches. Keep your eyes open for big trout just under the surface. When you see one keep your distance and cast to it. There hard to catch and land but its wirth it.
Where up north?

In one of your previous posts you mentioned Iron Range pits. Which ones? I've talked with some Range natives and they say a lot of the pits are off limits. Do you know of any pits within an hours drive from Hibbing/Chisholm area that I could fish?

tjhunter

The dnr has a list of all the trout lakes in the state. www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_and_wildlife/trout/tips.html
This is what I checked out when I looking for new trout lakes.
I've fished the pit just north of Ely called Miners pit and have had great fishing there for rainbows and brookies.
I've never fished around Hibbing for trout.
There is one lake that I've heard of that is privately owned, but you can fish it for a fee that is near Chisholm. Go to www.trib.com/scjournal/SLOUT2/COLUMNS/6_30_96.html
Just read it and I think you'll be willing to pay the fee and fish there.

I'm going trout fishing, but not in Minnesota, to many people out on the roads. Wisconsin, Rush river to be exact. The trout have really been biting as of late. Monday I made it over there and released a 22 inch brown and caught and lost many in the 12 to 20 inch range not to mention all the ones I seen follow my lure out.

How about you?

I'm going to fish South Center at midnight for 'eyes. But Saturday I'm open. I was going to try Cenaiko by the Coon Rapids dam, but I'm still open. I've never fished the Rush, but have been reading a lot about it. What have you been getting your fish on?

tjhunter

The Rush is about a half hour east of Prescott, wisconsin. The closest town is Ellsworth. Just take hwy 10 east to Ellsworth, from there it splits up in to 3 hwys. 72, 63, 10. Access is easy. A good map will show all the places you can access and fish.

As of late I've been using raps size 7, 11,and 13. Natural colors (silver black, brown trout, rainbow trout, ect...
11 work best for the bigger trout.
Tjhunter, I was over there today and the river was up a good foot and a half, and muddy. With rain very likly sat. I'm not sure if it would be worth going now. It needs at lease 3 or 4 days before it starts to clear up, and the fish start biting again.
If your open next week or the weekend I'd be willing to go.

Renneberg,

I have a buddy who lives less than a half mile from the Rush do East of Martel. I have waded it only once, but really liked what it had to offer.
My friend has landed soe very respectable fish out of there!!!

Let us know how you do??
Jim W

Tjhunter I don't think I'm going saturday because the weather man is saying another 1/2 inch to a inch of rain saturday. This is not good for a river that is already flooded about a foot above normal.

Jim this river is very easy to wade above hwy 10. Below 10 some places can be very hard to cross and fish, but it can be more then worth it, but thats not to say that above 10 doesn't have some get places too.

For everyone who would like to learn the biggest secret of the rush. I'll tell you. Fish it during the week if you can, because come weekend every good hole has a worm dunker or a fly fisherman in it. Its next to impossible to find water that someone hasn't fished.

Tjhunter I'm thinking of going wednesday or thursday if we don't get another inch of rain after saturday.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I am thinking about going fishing for some rainbows on Newman lake by bemidji tomorrow. I was wondering if trout fishing on lakes is good this time of year? What should I use and how deep are the fish? Are the fish suspended???? Any info would be great. Thanks and goodluck everybody on the opener!!!

renneberg..have you ever heard of the larue pit in nashwauk minn.?still close to the hibbing area...i've caught some great rainbows there...not huge but nice..up to 3 1/2 pounds...pretty good size body of water.stocked of course by the dnr and city of nashwauk jointly...heard they put browns in last year....jon