• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout

Rick

LAKE TROUT: I will be up on Clearwater Lake above Grand Marais on Sept 1 and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for strategies to take lakers at that time. I have heard that the Lakers begin to move into shallower (20' to 30') water in September and are a bit easier to find and catch than under deep water conditions- Any first hand expertise will be greatly apprecitated. Thanks

Paddy Malone

Paddy,I fish for Macs a lot here in Colorado. In the fall or even better in the spring after ice out fishing with live suckers is great. Although here in colorado we have to use dead suckers because of the no live bait rule in the mountains.We can use live water dogs and they work well also.Caught my biggest laker in the spring on a 1 1/2 pound dead sucker on a steep sandbar in 7ft of water (37 1/2"). Use a slip sinker with a 24" leader with two hooks. Hope this helps. Dan DAN the fisherman.

Heres more on the state record splake.

For the third time in three years, Minnesota's record for largest splake -- a brook trout-lake trout hybrid -- has been broken.

All three record fish have been pulled from the same lake.

Michael Birdsall, 41, of rural Chisholm landed a 13-pound, 5.44-ounce splake a week ago on Larson Lake near Effie in Itasca County, beating the old state record by more than a pound.

Larson Lake produced the previous two record splake -- a 12-pound, 4.48 ouncer caught in March 1999, and an 11-pound, 8.8-ouncer caught in January 1999.

Birdsall, a laid-off welder with Hibbing Taconite, was fishing with his brother-in-law. "It was cold. We were the only two on the lake," he said. While his brother-in-law fished in a fish house, Birdsall drilled a hole out farther in the lake and jigged a cisco on a plain hook in 45 feet of water. He used 30-pound test line because the lake holds big northerns.

"It hit hard," Birdsall said. "I thought it was a big northern. I fought it for about 10 minutes. When I got it up to the hole, I saw its big brown head."

He used a gaff to lift the fish up, but the handle broke and the 33-inch splake fell back into the hole. Birdsall grabbed the fish by the gills. He knew he had a trophy, but it wasn't until he put it on his new scale that he realized he had a new state record.

"It said 16 pounds. I freaked out. I knew the record was about 12 pounds," Birdsall said.

He finally got the fish, then dead, weighed at a Chisholm grocery four hours after he landed it.

"I'm going to have it mounted," Birdsall said.

quote:

Originally posted by jkrash:

Heres more on the state record splake.

For the third time in three years, Minnesota's record for largest splake -- a brook trout-lake trout hybrid -- has been broken.

All three record fish have been pulled from the same lake.

Michael Birdsall, 41, of rural Chisholm landed a 13-pound, 5.44-ounce splake a week ago on Larson Lake near Effie in Itasca County, beating the old state record by more than a pound.

Larson Lake produced the previous two record splake -- a 12-pound, 4.48 ouncer caught in March 1999, and an 11-pound, 8.8-ouncer caught in January 1999.

Birdsall, a laid-off welder with Hibbing Taconite, was fishing with his brother-in-law. "It was cold. We were the only two on the lake," he said. While his brother-in-law fished in a fish house, Birdsall drilled a hole out farther in the lake and jigged a cisco on a plain hook in 45 feet of water. He used 30-pound test line because the lake holds big northerns.

"It hit hard," Birdsall said. "I thought it was a big northern. I fought it for about 10 minutes. When I got it up to the hole, I saw its big brown head."

He used a gaff to lift the fish up, but the handle broke and the 33-inch splake fell back into the hole. Birdsall grabbed the fish by the gills. He knew he had a trophy, but it wasn't until he put it on his new scale that he realized he had a new state record.

"It said 16 pounds. I freaked out. I knew the record was about 12 pounds," Birdsall said.

He finally got the fish, then dead, weighed at a Chisholm grocery four hours after he landed it.

"I'm going to have it mounted," Birdsall said.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Check out the Open Water forum for Trout Day on April 28th 2001. This should be fun gang!!!

THATS A NICE ONE! I WISH THERE WERE MORE OF THOSE --- MAYBE THERE ARE AND I JUST HAVEN'T FOUND THEM YET. MY SON AND I ARE GONNA HEAD DOWN IN THE MORNNG TO "MOVE IN" AT THE CAMPGROUND. HOPEFULLY THE WATER IS BETTER THAN LAST WEEKEND. I GUESS I'LL HAVE TO BREAK DOWN AND DO A LITTLE WORM DUNKIN WITH HIM AND THEN HE CAN PUT A FEW MILES ON HIS NEW BIKE (I'M THE BEST DAD IN THE WORLD) UNTIL WE GOTTA COME HOME ANYWAY.
WET NETS!

PS LOOKING FORWARD TO THE 28th, CAN'T WAIT TO COMPARE NOTES,BAIT,SPOTS, AND OF COURSE ALL THE TRUE STORIES.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

I KEEP MY CAMPER AT HIDDEN VALLEY IN PRESTON ALL SUMMER. I COULDN'T GET SET UP LAST WEEKEND (TOO WET DOWN IN THE BOTTOMS) SO ME AND THE LITTLE GUY ARE GONNA GO DOWN TOMORROW FOR ONE NIGHT AND HELP TIM GET THE PLACE READY TO OPEN ON THE 28th. STOP BY IF YOU CARE TOO -- OLD 24' MALLARD BROWN & GOLD CAN'T MISS IT. MY SON WON'T BE WITH FOR THE FORESTVILLE THING BUT I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING YOU!
WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

DArk30
It will be very nice to put names/faces to the nick names used on the forum! Going to camp at Forestville? or Hidden Valley?
Question for you. Is there anything you would like to see be there for your son? With in reason that is. Jim W

OK,
trout anglers and flyfishermen, how is the season going for you so far. Any interesting stories on our beautiful trout streams?

Trout fishing this year has been a crapshoot.
With the ever changing weather patterns comes rain, substantial rain! Most of the trout streams in SE MN have not seen much more than a week of "near" clear water. As soon as things really start taking shape, "Crack-Boom Bam" another severe thunderstorm dumps another 1-2 inches of rain. A Spring like this not only frustrates guys like me, it forces you to continually take on the role of "stream scout".
To and from work, I find myself slowing down to ckeck the stream levels and clarity, hoping to see sign of better things to come. Then comes the day I finally notice "it's ready to go"!! Not much time to plan, just grab the gear and go.
Fortunately, the few days on the water have been very successful days. ALready, I have bagged a 20 inch brown and numerous fish over the 12 inch mark! Thinking back on the landing of that larger brown, I stop to realize that things could be worse! I could be living on the Mississippi right now!
Another positive to the hard rains, is the upturn of the streams. A sort of revitalization, or re-birth so to speak! New holes to discover, different log-jams and runs. An opportunity to start fresh, hoping that this day will bring the sounds of my drag, screaming along to the sounds of Spring!! I'm hoping my rod gets to bend hard real soon!!! Jim W

Time to go fishing I do believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uffdapete,
I think you knew that I would respond here didn't you?
Down in Spring Valley we didn't get a ton of rain last night. Streams seem to have held up. HOwever, I was just looking at the radar and things aren't fairing so well outside. The whelan area I could'nt tell you.
However , a good tool of measurment for clarity down on the Main has been how everyhting upstream is flowing. The North Branch of the Root has receded way down and most of the smaller tributaries as well.
Cross your fingers for little rain.
Good luck!!!

I'm on my way with the family for a Griswold-like vacation to a destination near the Brule River. I've never fished for trout, except for those "fish for five minute" deals at the annual Sportsman Show.

My inquiry...what basic gear does one need? I have access to virtually every type of tackle, except a flyrod. Will spinning gear w/ a small Mepps (thought I saw this in In Fisherman one time) work? Small jigs? Live bait (what type)?

Yes, I'm a greenhorn who spends his time chasing lazy fish like 2lb crappies and largemouth bass.

Any help that the board could provide would be greatly appreciated. I know my 10 year old would be ecstatic to land a trout.

Thank you in advance.

db

NSP,
I have never fished the Brule so hopefully someone who has can give better specifics.
When spin fishing for trout, I usually bring rooster tails, meps and rapalas. Keep in mind your trying to replicate what they feed on. Since I'm not positive on the type of minnow the trout in the Brule feed on, color might be different to what I'm used to. I like whites myself!
Don't be afraid to go large with either spinners or rapaplas. Trout don't just eat small critters!
Be sure to stop in a local bait store for the specifics, they should knowa lot more! Good luck and let's hope your boy can land a couple! Keep the rods' bendin'!! JIm W

If you're going to invest in minnowbaits, I'd suggest #9 or #11 Rapalas in brown trout and rainbow trout colors and/or the Yozuri Pin's Minnow in any of the trout colors. I've found trout to be quite fond of their own kind, no matter where you are. (Jim W. knows how much I like the Yozuri!)

I FISH A LITTLE TINY RIVER IN CENTRAL MN CALLED THE CAT RIVER AND HAVE DONE WELL ON 10-12" RAINBOWW AND BROOKS USING HOT DOG AND SPIN EQUIPMENT. HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS CREEK BEFORE? IT IS BY SEBEKA AND MENAHGA.

Is this topic worthy of it's own forum.

Let's hear from you trout anglers.

I wouldn't mind learning from others locally and from around the state. Pretty much have my hands full with the streams in SE MN, but I am always looking for new places to fish. Having information from around the state/Country would be a benefit!

I give a vote for a Trout forum. ALthough a lot is already discussed with in the regions that trout fish?

Jim W

I will be out on opener fishing trout on the Iron Range pits. The best time to go is walleye opener due to water temp and easy location of the trout. Easy access at most mine pits and plenty to choose from. Worth a try if you enjoy trout!

Remington, the pits also get good about a month before the season closes for trout in lakes. When timed right you can catch big rainbows and brookies the same day. I've had great luck with just a small 1/16 oz. jig with a white power twister. They tend to hit it hard!
Where were you planning to fish. If you need help with finding some great lakes let me know, I'd be more then happy to help.

Sounds great Reneberg. I have fished Pennington only. Always get a limit and occassionally the 20+" Rainbow. Haven't decided where to go yet this year. I have a 12 foot johnboat and a 6hp motor, so I am somewhat limited depending on the weather. How about you?