• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rabbits

rcook72

What your guys favorite most effective way of getting rid of rabbits? My lab has got 8 of them so far this year. 3 adult rabbits and one day brought 5 baby rabbits to the sliding door all alive and basically unharmed they just kept coming out from under the deck right to him in a matter of 10 minutes it was crazy. Anyways there are still some juvenille sized rabbits just tearing up our flower gardens. I was thinking of getting a havahart trap but am not sure how well it would work for rabbits that have food everywhere?

Know anyone with a Boa or Python? grin

The rabbits have been just nuts around here also. The dogs have only been able to run them out of the yard but they're back 10 minutes later. The live trap would be the more ethical option being rabbits are protected this time of year. But if your lab has gotten 8 so far, I have a feeling that the more you remove, the more that will take their place.

On the flip side...imagine what the coyote population is going to do in the next 2 years with all of these rabbits.

I know what you mean when you say after the dogs chase them off they come back. I since I live in a residental neighborhood I cant use my 22. Wife sprayed the gardens with liquid fence for the first time today. I think I am just going to go get myself a nice Gamo air rifle. Have a 10 pump but thats only good for baby rabbits. I have a nice backstop to shoot at them so I am not worried about hitting the neighbors house. My neighbor actually gave me the 10 pump to help her get rid of the pests as she has an incredible back yard garden. One of the Nasty buggers was full of fleas to so I found myself at Wally world getting flea shampoo for a midnight bath for the dog after he caught it.

I doubt you'll be able to kill all the rabbits. When you kill one it always seems like 2 will take its place.

The general rule is that where there is food there will be animals eating that food. To get rid of the rabbits you'll need to prevent them from having access to the food source. You're best bet is to simply fence off the garden using some rabit proof wire fencing.

Thats what I did right away when I planted this year and so far I haven't lost a single leaf to those pesky critters. I've seen the rabbits hopping along the perimiter of the fence but they just can't find a way in.

If you do come across an extra smart one that is able to get in some how then fall back to the pellet gun option to pick off the smart one.

yeah I figures so much about the fence. The only thing is that they are a couple of flower decorative flower gardens and the hardware cloth or chicken wire would just nullify the effect. I bought the hardware cloth to start rabbit proofing the under the shed and decks hopefully if they have to find shelter a little farther from my house they will move on to the neighbors gardens... Hopefully the neighbor behind me doesnt read this. lol.

That is the down side of the fence. It sure doesn't look real good. If its just a vegetable garden its usually fine as the garden isn't usually meant to be decorative.

If its a flower bed that they are munching on you may want to look into some alternative plantings that the rabbits don't like. Mixing in the ones they don't like might keep them out of there all together. Maybe consider doing an entire perimiter of rabbit proof plants to keep them out of there entirely.

Limiting their hiding/living spaces is another good option. There is so much food available that I'm sure if they are forced to relocate to another shelter they might look for food a little closer to home.

Subsonic .22 rounds. Sound like a BB gun, pack more wallop. Aguila Ammunition's Super Colibri doesn't use gun powder, only primer. 500 fps or so with a 20 grain bullet. Very quiet, very effective. Probably not entirely legal. Good thing I don't use them.