• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

intensive harvest permits

say_der

When do I have to buy an intensive harvest permit for muzzleloader season? I know I obviously need it before I take the deer. I'm just wondering because if I take a buck on the first day (I know, wishful thinking), I've got a couple weeks left to go look for a doe too. Do I need the IHP before I take the first deer? Or can I buy it after using my regular ML tag?

Thanks.

Yeah, but I think I figured out my question - my regular muzzleloader tag needs to be valid in order to purchase an intensive harvest permit. I can't fill that tag and then go get another intensive harvest one. I need to buy both and then I can use them in the order I chose.

Any one correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thanks again.

I think you are mistaken. You can buy an IHP anytime during the muzzleloader season as long as you have a muzzleloader license regardless of whether you have filled it or not. You can shoot your buck and while you are registering it, purchase an IHP. You could even purchase a second IHP while you are registering the first IHP, an so on (up to 4 times I think). It's a great system if you like venison!

The Intensive Harvest Permit rub is...

If you shoot a doe as your first deer and haven't bought one, you need to tag it with your regular license. You can go buy up to 4 intensive harvest permits after that, but deer tagged with those MUST be antlerless. Therefore, be prepared to let the biggest buck of your life walk by. OF course, if you hunt in a bigger party, this is likely a moot point.

I bought an intensive harvest permit and tagged a doe with it. I still have my regular and can shoot either. It's the only way I could figure I'd still want to hunt.

Craig

say_der,
Sounds like you expect to do well with the
smoke poles. smile.gif
We have done this for several years now. It
is sometimes hard to come up with a buck,
but I always buy an IHP because we see and
shoot several does each season. My Buck tag
from my all season permit goes unused but my
freezer is always full of venison.

Where 'bouts there do you hunt? We have had
excellent late season success near hinckley. smile.gif

phil

OK, I guess I'll just have to try it. If I can only take the one deer that's fine too. I do really enjoy venison and I'm hoping to get my wife liking it more too.

I go in zone 411.

I really like the ML season because it's not as busy. I've had better luck bowhunting, but I hadn't had enough shooting time this past summer to buy a tag in September. So I'll take out the soot belcher and hopefully connect on a couple.

Hoyter it correct. You may fill your regular ML tag and then go and purchase an IH permit. You can purchase up to 4 IH permits (making sure you are in a IH area of course). These may be purchased in any combination of 1 at a time, 2, all 4, etc. Cost for them is I believe $14.00/permit. I just picked up another one for up North this weekend.