• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Squirrel Hunting

Lunker

Okay, I hunt just about everything. But I have never hunted squirrel . I would like to give it try this fall, for not only myself, but to maybe introduce a couple of people to the great sport of hunting. I was wondering where with about an hour of the cities would be a good place to hunt squirrels, or if a landowner is reading this, maybe let me hunt the little chatter boxes at your land? Just thought I'd throw it out there. Also, how far out of city limits do u have to be to hunt? I thought of maybe going out somewhere near elko(where my gun range is) and chat up some land owners to see if I could, but dont know where it is legal since there are farms all over. Thanks

sherburne county has lots of state and federal lands, and with all the oaks here, I would think it is a good place to start, I would let you hunt my property, but since I am in the city limits, I think its not a good idea. way to many tree rats and rabbits.
I have had two squirrels come down my furnace exhaust, what a friggin' experience.

See if you can get permission from a farmer. Look for corn fields that have a woodlot along the field edge.

set up a few yards inside the woods, and sit quietly. Sooner or later the squirrels will become active, working back and forth from the woods to the corn.

My dad and I used to hunt squirrels a lot this way when I was a kid. Great memories, and great eating too.

Glad to see there are others that still go for tree rats out there. I don't get to hunt them much any more because my wife and kids won't eat them and I can't eat all that I could shoot. I still take a few a year for fun and memories and then have a private feast when the family is out.

Check out the woodlots and hillsides beside fields. Most farmers don't mind rat hunters. Sitting works best for me. Find a comfy spot and sit still near the edge of te trees. After about 15 minutes or so, they'll get curious and start rooting around looking for food. Sometimes a good spot will yield three or four without having to move.

Good Luck!!

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Thanks all. The DNR and maps of ranges says that there are fox squirrels in the state as well. Living in the cities and hunting up north I have never seen one. Where are these usually located?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

A fox squirrel likes edges a bit more than the gray squirrel. Grays will normally be deeper in a wooded area while fox squirrels will tend to be on the cornfield edge of a wooded area. Southern Minnesota woodlots, especially oak, near cornfields are usually decent spots. Hilly hardwood areas adjacent to cornfields are also good. Especially in SE MN

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Around Elko shoud be great.

Remember, farmers woodlots around corn usually work out the best for those chunky foxy's.