• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog ate bone from eighteen pound ham?!

Nightrain83

I let my dog have it a few days ago, then something came up where i couldn't make it home for a couple days. I noticed he kind of moaning alot when he moves, seems uncomfortable laying down(keeps standing up), plays very slowly(discomfort moving?), and won't jump. He usually sleeps on my bed and will not jump on the bed. Then I realized except for a few small chunks laying on the floor I can't find that ham bone. I am conviced he ate it, do I have anything to worry about will it just pass through him or will I have to get xrays and surgery. I've been laid off and can't really afford it but will get it done anyway if necessary. The bone was cooked it was from an easter ham.

Any help, especially from vets would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shane

My dog has eaten some stuff that amazes me and dosn't get sick. I dread the day something does get stuck or worse. Will the dog eat? Would you say the dog is becoming lethargic at all? If my lab had symptoms like you stated I'd be at the vet already. Maybe I'm too cautious but my dog is part of my family. By you saying he sleeps on the bed I'm guessing your's is too. Best of luck!

If he is exhibting symptoms of pain and lethargy, there is something wrong. Time to go see the vet. Don't be surprised if there is something fairly serious...

Splinters (pork bones are notorious for these) can get lodged anywhere from the throat all the way through the digestive tract... He could've swallowed the head of the bone whole and has an obstruction, yada yada but if he is not anywhere close to himself, he needs to be seen asap.

People, do not feed pork or poultry bones to your dogs... I rarely ever even give them a bone period... more risk than reward with bones. They get the occassional beef leg bone or deer leg bone, but only in my presense and for brief periods of time.

Good Luck!

Ken

I think the key is, will the dog eat anything? Try something extra good like canned dog food or part of a burger. If not, off to the vet. Several years ago my dogs got into 10 pounds of bird feeding peanuts, the young dog was fine, [PoorWordUsage] lots of peanuts but the old dog couldn't [PoorWordUsage], so I took her to the vet and he tried the canned dog food trick. When she wouldn't eat, it was enema time. That was fun!!

My lab got a beef bone splinter in the roof of her mouth and it got infected all the way up into her eyes( all sunk in/puffy), she was so miserable she could'nt eat/chew. So emergency vet service on xmas eve cost 300$.

The vet told me that if you can't bend it w/ your hands your dog shouldn't be chewing it,no more bones in our house.

If the dog isn't eating or [PoorWordUsage] normal get em to the vet asap.