Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Stark

Lowrance X510C

17 posts in this topic

I currently own an 520C, which is basically the same unit, only with GPS. I think if I were getting a unit like the 510C (color, 5" screen, sonar only), I would spend the extra little amount and get the HDS-5x, the HD version of basically the same unit...

I think the x510c is a great deal on a fishfinder right now ---- 5" color screen, 480x480 resolution, really good track record. It's the same sonar as in the LMS 520c and 522c but doesn't have the software issues that cause problems in shallow weeds. They used to sell for $500 but are on clearance now for $380, you can see them here: Lowrance x510c FishFinder

The new HDS-5x has the built-in broadband sounder and high defintion display, features which the x510c does not have. And the broadband sounder in the HDS-5x will function at 83 or 200 kHz so you can treat it like a dual frequency transducer. It is $140 more than the x510c, you can see it here: Lowrance HDS-5x FishFinder

What is a broad band sounder? And what does it do?

The broadband sounder is digital signal processing instead of analog signal processing inside the depthfinder. It gives greater sensitivity, greater definition, better clarity, better separation, etc. It's like comparing high-definition television to regular television ----- it gives you a better picture of what's going on down there. For the last couple of years you could buy a broadband sounder module to add to your lowrance network (it was about $600), but now it's built into the new HDS units.

There's a bunch of info HERE on what's new with the HDS line - new style and new features, the broadband sounder, Insight Mapping, things you can add if you want to expand a network in your boat, etc. Some of it is some pretty neat stuff.

mike get one with a gps. Even if u have a handheld gps get the sonar with the gps. Worth its weight in gold. Speed temp and most importantly a very accurate gps.

I picked up a 510C this spring and have no problems with it. So far I've been very happy with it. No problems in shallow water.

the hd unit looks good but gets out of my price range. i have a hand held gps and just dont think i need one on the sonar as well.

why on the lowarnce site does it say they are discontinued?

and i cant even find one with the gps feature.....whats the model #?

They are discontinued because they are a little older model.

The one with the GPS built in is the 520C or the 522C. I believe the 520C uses an external antenna and the 522C has an internal antenna. They are supposed to be the same unit as the 510C with GPS added. They are also discontinued. You may be able to find one at one of the sporting goods stores if you call around.

I was in the same boat as you. I have a hand held GPS (H20C)and was deciding between the 510C and the 522C. The price difference at the time was around $170 between the two. I couldn't justify the extra dough since I already had the hand held. Also, when you split the 522C into sonar and GPS screens, the display is a little small.

Just my 2 cents.

That is correct --- the x510c is the same size and same sonar as the LMS 520c combo unit (external antenna) and LMS 522c combo unit (internal antenna).

Lowrance discontinued all of the LMS, LCX, GlobalMap, and x510c / x515c units last fall. Prices started coming down on them in November ----- the x510c is $120 cheaper now than it was last fall.

The new HDS combo units, sonars and gps units replace all of units they discontinued.

PerchJerker,

Can you get the Lakemaster or Navionics chip for the HDS-x5? Which would be better for Lake Superior and Northern Minnesota lakes.

The HDS-5x is a sonar only, not a gps, unless it's connected to a network that has a gps antenna on it. Because it's not a GPS you can't use map cards in it, the unit has no way of knowing where it is. You'd need the HDS-5 (combo unit) or HDS-5m to have a gps and be able to use map cards.

I didn't check for sure but I don't think Lake Superior is on any map cards with inland lakes. If you want northern MN then Nav is probably better because it has more lakes than LM, but I think you'll need a different card for Lake Superior.