• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sucker Run?

Anyone have any info on whether or not the suckers are running into the streams yet? It was around this time last year, but this winter was a little colder.

I'm only asking so I don't waste driving 40 miles roundtrip to find an empty stream.

alright, good to know. I'm in Brainerd so I'm pretty much on the same plane as you as far as temps go. I still might go check the brook out, though it probably is still pretty high considering the melt. oh well though, it'll be nice to be around the water for the first time this year.

went to the brook anyway. No sign of any sucker run at all. Decided to head down to the gull dam, saw one nice carp cruising the area so I'll probably go back tomorrow and bounce a heavy jig with some corn or worm or dough on it.

i don't care how I get a bite i just want to see that rod tip bend.

it was a bust at the dam today. spotted some niiiiiice fish but not a huge population, and nothing ended up being curious enough to bite. great day to be out though. looking forward to getting into some of these beasts as the water warms up.

looks like they are starting to slowly come up the root.. was out at a spot this morning(noonish).. by the time i worked my way back twords my car(4:30) i spotted about 20 red horse just along the shore.. couldn't see further out because it was overcast.. but i imagine if there was that many along a short 40ft section of shore.. there were probably more out in the current

Anyone have any info on whether or not the suckers are running into the streams yet? It was around this time last year, but this winter was a little colder.

I'm only asking so I don't waste driving 40 miles roundtrip to find an empty stream.

they are working there way up streams here.

these were all caught at the oulet of the stream. there are quite a few in the stream, but everytime i have tried to catch them, they would spook.

101_0190.jpg

101_0148.jpg

101_0092.jpg

101_0100.jpg

101_0104.jpg

101_0210.jpg

What temp do they start running? Ive heard 50 60 and 70 dgrees. Also when the cottonwoods bloom. I dont kow which one? LOL
Carp usually hit the shallows when the cottonwood seeds are falling. Suckers spawn earlier. Actually the suckers were starting to group around the females in the trout streams near River Falls this last weekend.

I think they might be starting to run north of the metro by now. If not, my only fear is the water dropping quick might not confine them in an area. They might disperse quick/early or spread out and not concentrate in one area like they do in higher water. Just a feeling.

I will know in the next couple days!

Man, you are a die hard grin That water has to be cold.

Nice pics! Any suckers rolling up your way yet in large amounts?

When the suckers spawn, I have a spot where I bring my two biys and a couple friends and we have non-stop action. Doubles, triples! Then a week or so later it is all over.

Man, you are a die hard grin That water has to be cold.

Nice pics! Any suckers rolling up your way yet in large amounts?

When the suckers spawn, I have a spot where I bring my two biys and a couple friends and we have non-stop action. Doubles, triples! Then a week or so later it is all over.

we dont get them in large amounts. i did post a few of the white suckers i have caught this year a few post. they are going upstream already. they are usually hard to find in this stream because of the shere number of splits, backwaters, and the fact that its all surrounded by woods or cat tails makes it that much more difficult