• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do people rent out dogs?

Phooj

do people really rent out dogs for bird hunting? i was just wondering i never done pheashant hunting and due to all my babies 4 kids oldest is 5 and the rest are still young, so i dont have the time to train a dog . and if i have one i wouldnt know where to start.

I doubt anyone would rent out a dog. The owner's relationship with a dog is pretty special. One of my dogs wouldn't work for anyone else and runs to me if I'm posting and I left him down on the far end to work the field with the others. The other dog, younger, will work the field but come to me once he sees me. Since I have severeal thou invested in each dog (buy, doc, training, etc.) I don't think I would ever let someone else take them.

Best bet is to find a friend who has dogs and who'll take you hunting.

BTW - 4 kids under 6 - what makes you think the squeeze is ever going to let you out of the house that long??

The only thing I know of that comes close to what you're talking about is that some, if not most, game farms will "rent" their dogs to you. At Pheasant View Hunt Farm $45 will get you a guide & a dog, on top of the bird fees. Traxler advertises $35 for a dog, per hunt. Caribou is $25/hour. But to rent a dog to take off site, I doubt you'll find anything.

I wouldn't even let my friends take my dog without me. The only other person I'd ever allow to take my dog without me would be my son, and since he's only 11 it will be a few years before that happens.

Your best bet might be to first secure some hunting land then find someone with a dog and offer to let them go with you. You get a dog along for the hunt and they get access to land and a chance to work the dog.

I have seen trainers and breeders 'lease' dogs before. I saw an ad 2 years ago that had a season long lease (2 or 3 months) for for $1000.

Remember, these dogs don't have a 'master'... so they will work for most anyone.

Look around, sometimes the deal will find you...

Good Luck!

Ken

I've had friends who were experianced hunters with dogs take a couple of mine with the strict provisions of:

A) Shoot only pointed birds.

B)Don't loose them on point.

C) They were broke when you got them; bring them back the same.

These guys knew what they were doing and the dogs they took were also not my highest powered.

Being a begineer why not see if an experianced dog man will take you hunting? Be ultra safety concious, pay for fuel and do not go back to private ground that you learn about. See if you like it and who knows , you may have a dog or two of your own someday.

I've let a good friend take a dog to South Dakota on pheasant hunts a few times. We've hunted together, he knows how I do things and I know the dog will obey. So I felt good about letting the dog go and I know the dog sure didn't mind either.

Would I rent out a dog without knowing the person, maybe if that person had a very good reputation. It wouldn't be for the season though.

I also know of two guys that have a partnership. Both select the breed. Owner #1 picks a breeder and selects the pup, trains, and houses the dog.

Owner #2 pays for the dog, spends some limited time with dog during training, and of coarse hunts with the dog. Vets bills are split.

During Hunting season some dates are penciled in and some are on the fly and flexible. It works for them and the dog receives more time in the field.

I, like ST, have done same, let a good freind take my previous setter to South Dakota. He was a good friend, land lord, hunting buddy and a dog guy. He watched me spend endless hours training and knew how I hunted and how I worked my dog. I also knew the guys that were going along on the trip too. But what it really boiled down too. 1. I couldn't go. 2. There is no way in my short little weekend trips in Minnesota that I could ever put my dog on that many wild birds, for a week straight. As much as I hated not being there, the dog got invaluable experience (I think she was 3 at the time). The dog was well-behaved and cared for, and the compliments on the dog work from the folks at the trap club on their return helped a little too (especially coming from a bunch of lab guys).

But, would I let somebody I hadn't hunted with, trained with, and was dog person to begin, with take my dag? Not a chance.

i got to wait til all my kids grow up a bit. til than i will than start pheasant hunting...i was just wondering if someone for the up coming season mind if i come along and watch someone work with their dog?

You have a good chance of that happening. But again my guess is that it's going to take some time to get to know someone. Maybe you could check out some dog trials or spend some time at a local range and get to know someone. There's a thread on this HSOforum where folks can invite others to go fishing but I don't think I've seen the same for hunting. I guess I'd be leery about going out with someone I didn't know. I've encountered a lot of doofus' when a large party gets together